Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-28-2005, 12:37 PM

Default TAG shifting gears at the wrong time

While the ante structure of 3-6 Party stud would dictate fast play, there ain't a lot of folding going on. Seat 8 is a player who raises a lot in big fields with small holdings.Seat 7 seems is likely brain damaged, but passive. I think I made a mistake not raising fourth; and was I overaggressive on third?

7 Card Stud High ($3/$6), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $1 (converter)

Seat 1: $175.50
Seat 2: $180
Hero: $32.25
Seat 4: $141
Seat 5: $149.50
Seat 6: $127
Seat 7: $196.50
Seat 8: $81

3rd Street - (1.33 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___raises___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls___calls
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___raises

4th Street - (21.33 SB)

Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (13.17 BB)

Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls

6th Street - (18.17 BB)

Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls (all-in)
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___folds

River - (25.96 BB)

Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___all-in
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls

Total pot: (27.96 BB)

Results:
Main Pot: $149 | Side Pot 1: $15.75 | Rake: $3

Hero: [ 2s Ac 2d 8d Kc As Ts ] [ two pairs, aces and twos -- Ac,As,Kc,2s,2d ]

Seat 4: [ 4s 4c 5s Js 4h 6s 3h ] [ three of a kind, fours -- Js,6s,4s,4c,4h ]

Seat 7: [ Qs 3c 9s Td Qc Tc Ad ] [ two pairs, queens and tens -- Ad,Qs,Qc,Td,Tc ]
Old 12-28-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Re: TAG shifting gears at the wrong time

I would have folded 3rd, but I'm play pretty tight. Your cards are live, so I guess a call is OK, but I certainly wouldn't raise. BTW, this is a situation where a 2 flush would really help you.

I think the call on 4th is correct. Seat 8 looses one of his jacks, but you loose a 2 as well. You're basically drawing to 4 outs here, but with everyone checking you might as well pay to see 1 more street.

Fold fifth. Somebody has to have you beat, and you're drawing pretty thin.

The rest is fine, except you should keep your chip stack up a little more. Nothing worse than running out of dough when you've got a hand with callers. Of course, in this case it saved you money, but sitting short stacked is -EV.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:11 PM

Fold 3rd and 5th. The other streets are how I would have played them.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:14 PM

I like the play on third if you think there's a decent chance you can get it heads up. I agree with the other poster that having a two flush does help a lot. Given the calling on third, I don't think there's any use raising fourth; they will surely call (correctly) there. On fifth you have to give up.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:12 PM

Seems to me that a while back, someone posted about an expert player who made a similar play with (A2)2. There were important differences. First, there weren't the two callers in between the two raisers. At this level, most players, having put in one bet, will put in two more most of the time. Second, the other hand was a high limit, I think $75/150, and there was a decent chance that the expert could get the original raiser to fold. If you're going to make this play, it's very important that it gets heads-up. I just don't see that happening very often in a Party $3/6 game. I think the best play is to fold.

On fourth, I call and don't like it. Having a Deuce gone is bad, but you've made the pot too big to fold. I think fifth is a call, since you're getting about 17:1 and your call closes the action. Again, I don't like it. When you make Aces up on sixth, you might as well put the rest of your money in.

Keep more than five bets in front of you unless you're absolutely hopeless.