Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-22-2005, 09:04 PM

Default Misplayed Every Street?

Party 30-60

I have 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and limp UTG in a decent game. Folded to 25/14/1.36 in the CO who raises. Fishy aggro BB calls.

Flop J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB checks, I bet, CO raises I 3-bet CO calls

Turn K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I bet CO raises I fold

Thoughts?
Old 12-22-2005, 10:31 PM

Default Re: Misplayed Every Street?

PF: I don't like the UTG limp with a vulnerable hand like 99, as I wouldn't want to invite a lot of callers with this hand OOP, and I think the hand is easier to play when you come in with a raise. However, I can see limping here sometimes to mix up your play. As the hand went down (with only three to the flop), I might go ahead and limp re-raise here as a semi-bluff, as it implies that you hold a big hand and puts more pressure on the other players, esp. the BB, to fit-or-fold on the flop.

Flop: That is a very dry board. Flop play is fine, I assume the BB folded to the double bet? At this point, given that the CO just called your 3-bet, what do you put him on? Overs? Given your action to this point, what can he reasonably put you on? Some sort of J I would assume, maybe AJo or KJs/QJs?

Turn: If he had overs, this had to help him, and unless he puts you on exactly KJ, I don't think he can believe the K helped you. I think the turn bet is desperate, but I would probably make it, too. The only other line I can think of would be to c/r the turn, but given his aggression to this point and his relatively low AF, I think a c/r will either get called or re-raised. So it's a toss up between bet/fold and check/fold. If I do bet and get called, I am definitely checking the river UI.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:56 PM

The open limp stinks for all kinds of reasons, not least of which is that it's virtually impossible to narrow the range of hands your opponents are playing behind you.

After that, what do you hope to gain from the flop 3-bet? IMHO, OOP this pretty much amounts spewing -- although I'd love to hear any insight into any benefits of the 3-bet. If you're worried about overcards checking it through on the turn then flat call the flop bet and lead a safe turn.

When the K hits it's game over. Pretty much the only hand you beat is AQ, and if he bets that then power to him. Check/fold.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:01 AM

I just give it up on the flop. Is that too weak?
Old 12-23-2005, 08:02 AM

I actually like the flop bet if the CO will raise overs here. This should (and did) get it HU to the turn. I hate the 3-bet though. I'd just call the flop raise and check/call down as long as no Ace hits. Good line?
Old 12-23-2005, 10:12 AM

Preflop: Raising will generally make 99 easier to play. If you are open limping, you better have a very good reason for doing so.

Flop: you shouldn't be folding here. At this point the CO can have a wide range of hands. I am not sure why you would 3 bet here. He is only folding hands that you beat, and he probably isn't folding high cards.

A preflop raise would make things easier, but you still wouldn't have had easy decisions postflop.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:09 PM

Reraise preflop
Old 12-23-2005, 12:29 PM

Just out of interest what % bet/3bet vs c/r do u use against a pfr? or do u always bet/3bet or c/r.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:55 PM

I usually check-raise a PF raise 2 or 3-handed. Bet 3-bet is rare
Old 12-23-2005, 02:56 PM

Re-Raise Pre-flop for sure...I screwed that up