Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 10:25 AM

Default ($27) - a boring A9s for inspection

Villian Notes (from this, and previous meetings)
L1 BB QJo reraised a 15x PF all-in for his whole stack
L5 limp-calling 3x behind w/7bb's
L2 MP QQ limp behind 2 others
L2 EP J5s minraise

Just a very well-rounded donk really.

$27 Stars turbo
Seat 8: (1510 in chips)
Seat 9: (1085 in chips)
Seat 1: (1655 in chips)
<font color="red">Seat 2: (3820 in chips) Villian</font>
Seat 5: (745 in chips)
Seat 6: (3220 in chips) SB
<font color="blue">bluefeet (1465 in chips) BB</font>
L3 - 25/50

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to bluefeet [A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
3 folds
Seat 2: raises 50 to 100
2 folds
bluefeet: calls 50
*** FLOP *** [T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
bluefeet: checks
Seat 2: bets 150
bluefeet: calls 150
*** TURN *** [T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] [K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
bluefeet: checks
Seat 2: checks
*** RIVER *** [T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] [J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
bluefeet: bets 150
Seat 2: calls 150

Anything you love/hate?
Old 12-21-2005, 10:26 AM

Default Re: ($27) - a boring A9s for inspection

I like it up til the river.. not sure of the point of the bet there, what hand can he have that will call the bet, A2-A8, KT, or something? Or is it a blocking bet? In which case, it's alright I suppose.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:30 AM

I think it's fine but I would check the river. He checked behind on the turn because he could presumably be scared of a queen....anyway the basic point of this hand is that he simply will not call with any hand that you can beat. He's folding a K/T/lower PP. You chop with an ace...so there's really just no reason to bet (unless you feel this was a blocking bet? That'd be strange to me, but I never know with you [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]). Check it to him and it'll probably check through. This also has the added benefit that he obviously can't raise you when you're beat, and you sometimes pick off a bluff too.

So yeah, fine all the way but I check the river. I was thinking I'd c/c, but I may even fold if he were to bet as he should check behind with a hand that has any kind of showdown value.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:32 AM

It serves as a little of both, but most certainly this was a value bet. THIS GUY will make this call with any Ace or King.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It serves as a little of both, but most certainly this was a value bet. THIS GUY will make this call with any Ace or King.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hrm I dunno, you chop with an ace (duh), and do you really think he calls you with a king? That's one hell of a board to make a call with a king..anyway I think it'd be better to just check and pick off a bluff, if you think he'd make one. But I definitely don't value bet this river because there's no value to be had, other than him donking off some chips to you.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:41 AM

Sure...Ace we split - no "value" added there. Eh, the notes probably don't do the read justice. After the turn, I'm certain he does not have an Ace, a Queen, or 2-pair. Straight or no straight, he's pumping the pot if any of those where true at the turn. With the Jack pairing on the river, I'm also not worried about the boat any longer. I'm ahead here almost always. I guess in that respect, looking to check-call could possibly be more profitable, assuming he might bluff behind. But despite all of this paint on the board, my flop call, my PF call, this guy is still calling here with a number of hands.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:44 AM

...more often donking chips, then bluffing behind - I guess is the point.

But I DO agree with both of you. Check-calling is probably a more standard line.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:29 AM

Against someone who is this much of an idiot, would it be terrible to push pre-flop? Or are we just giving away too much of our advantage to outplay him post-flop by doing this?

Obviously I realize that A9s is not a re-raising hand, but if you have a read like this... I dunno. Just a thought. I mean, the guy re-raised with QJo and mini-raised with J5s, right? Your hand is likely at least a 60-40 favorite over his pre-flop, and the problem with playing it (the way I see it anyway) the way you did is that you hit your ace, but still couldn't bet it strongly.

I think this is one of those times where I just go with a read and come over the top pre-flop.

I should add that I'm biased because I think that frequent mini-raisers belong at the bottom of the ocean. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2005, 11:29 AM

What was the plan if he raised the river?
Old 12-21-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Against someone who is this much of an idiot, would it be terrible to push pre-flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

It crossed my mind, but I think we risk to much 'wanting' him to call, even if we're ahead. Likewise, I think I find a way to get more on a decent flop. Just enough chips to dance with the donk, a few too many maybe to push for his minraise.