Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-19-2005, 10:04 AM

Default The Number Of The Beast

Reads:
MP2 is about 40 vp and fairly passive preflop. Postflop he's reasonably aggro though - enough so he's not run over.

CO is tag. He knows about makign money from isolating loose limpers. He's generally not out of line and we havent clashed heads.

(I was thinking about 3betting preflop, however, there is about a zero percent chance mp2 would fold, so I just call.)

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (9 max, 10 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (8 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (12 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 18 BB

I'll give my thoughts after.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:14 AM

Default Re: The Number Of The Beast

3-betting PF is silly imo. You have a small pair and there are a million flops you are going to hate and you are out of position. Calling is standard.

Bet the turn, what's the point of the turn CR? You're giving your opponents a chance to make a fold or take the free card and draw out on you. If either happen, you'll be pissing glass.

- Jim
Old 12-19-2005, 03:59 PM

What made you think MP2 would bet the turn when checked to after your flop play?

I'd rather bet out on the flop as well to try to trap MP2 between you and pfr.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:21 AM

what I was thinking:
Since the mp dude is less aggro than the pfr in general, I take it to mean he actualy has a hand.

because I played the flop like a flush draw, despite whether the mp noticed, a couple of ways for me to to cr-

1) mp has a hand and gets checked to, sees his hole cards says "wtf you dont bet? I bet " and then bets
2) pfr says "that flushdraw jamming bastard, no freecard!"

Anyways, it seemed like a neat idea at the time, but after more thought it seems that:
1) my opponents arent as good as handreading as I give them credit for
2) the pfr likely only called on the flop given that he was trapped into doing so, and really just had some unpaired faces, meaning he wont conitnue on the turn with MP in the hand and me representing a flushdraw thus helping him realize that he has only partial outs
Old 12-20-2005, 06:49 AM

Given your reads, the turn check is too dangerous. Bet and collect those bets. Having this get checked through would be a disaster.

Otherwise it looks pretty straightforward.

-Eric
Old 12-20-2005, 08:23 AM

I use to just lead this flop. By checking there's a very low chance I'll get to put in more than 1 bet in the pot on the flop. The vast majority of the time the action will go check, check, bet, call, call when I check the flop. If I bet I will get raised by AA-77 and any flushdraw and will be able to make it 3.

And what's our plan on the turn if the flop goes check, check, bet, call, call. Check/raise? I don't like it since pfr will often take a stab on the flop with nada (and he's holding nada often since his handrange is wide), so he'll often check the turn through when he gets called in 2 spots. The other option is leading the turn, which I like more than check/raising, but still I prefer betting the flop. Easily.

I like preflop and don't like the turn check/raise as all others. And I obviously like the river.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:47 AM

PREFLOP: standard

FLOP: Lead out, hopeing to get raised. This is the easiest route to get multiple bets on the flop. Check-raising will likely get it HU, but you would rather MP2 hanged around, likely drawing close to dead. It luckily worked out well the way you played it.

TURN: Just lead out. Don't give out chances of free cards. You may also get to 3-bet, which rules.

RIVER: Standard.