Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Re: blinds battle - set

I wouldn't 3 bet the flop in this situation. What are we afraid of? Gutshots? Any decent villain will fold an A or worse here if we do. Call the raise, then either 3/4 to full pot on the turn, or go for the cr.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:53 PM

I like it. This is a fairly drawless board, so I'm ok with calling his raise. 3-bet is missing some value IMO. I like the stop-n-go. Just because villan raised doesn't mean he will do, say, a potsized bet on the turn.

If villan is a donkey with OP's read, he will probobly bet something like $5-$10 on the turn, in which case we will be missing value IMO.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:46 PM

I like it. Calling your turn play a donkbet is really an expansion of that word. You did bet over 1/2 pot after all. Donking the turn would be betting $3. 3-bet flop, or c/r turn says to villian his Ace is no goot. With your line he's likely to call you down with Ax. nh.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:09 PM

Back in the limit forums 'donkbet' (evolved from an earlier, less-PC term) was simply a euphamism for 'stop & go'.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:10 PM

I like it. I would probably have lead the turn a little harder, but that's a nit.

Shame the guy overplayed his 44 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shame the guy overplayed his 44 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was thinking the same thing, but I had him on A4. All these rig3ed party hands I've been playing lately have got me seeing monsters everywhere.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:57 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. As I mentioned, my initial read was that he was the minbetting type of guy. This was a blinds battle, and my flop bet probably looked weak, so I put him on Ax or a pocket pair. I didn't want to allow him to define his hand so well by 3-betting the flop, and I wasn't at all sure that he would bet the turn. I agree i need to bet a bit more on the turn. But I didn't expect him to call any more than 1/2 the pot on the river with Ax.

Results: He said he folded an ace on the river.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
New table. Villain has done stuff like minraise preflop, and bet small on the flop. But he hasn't shown down a hand. Thoughts?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (5 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button ($10.50)
Hero ($103.60)
BB ($172.75)
UTG ($75.45)
MP ($167.70)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, BB calls $3.

Flop: ($8) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $10</font>, Hero calls $5.

Turn: ($28) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, BB calls $15.

River: ($58) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $30</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Isura,

What is your plan if he re-raises all-in. I'd hate to make a difficult call here. Why not check/call. I don't want to give the villain a chance to take the pot down with a blocker against four straight board.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't like the turn donkbet. Either 3-bet the flop or check/raise the turn. I generally 3-bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

PoBoy321,
I really don't like flop 3-bet. It lets worse hands off too easy. We don't want to scare the Ax off. I really like the turn line, this isn’t a draw heavy board. Get some value!
Old 12-19-2005, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also would make bets at least 2/3 pot sized. If he has an Ace, he's not folding to a potential steal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess most donks aren't. Good point [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] For some reason, I still like it though.