Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 05:02 PM

Default Re: (55) overpair in 50-way pot

[ QUOTE ]
I make it 75 in EP. And yes I think it makes a big difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

I make it 45 in EP and don't think it makes a big difference at all. Personally I greatly prefer making the smaller raises.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:03 PM

If the guy wasn't a huge stack I'd basically always just check/fold the turn. I probably will anyway, but its a bit less likely than usual that they have a ten. Basically if the board pairs and I have 5 opponents, and one of them flat calls a large bet, I generally assume I have the worst hand more often than not.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I make it 75 in EP. And yes I think it makes a big difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big difference as in you take down just the blinds way more often?

I'm actually curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

with pretty much all of the hands i raise in EP level 1, i'd prefer that villains call with anything marginal. the argument for raising to 75 would be to get more chips in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see it as a slightly different goal: get the same number of chips in the middle as in this hand, but with fewer donks in the pot to outdraw you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is key. Not only does it build a pot it also protects your hand. I've found that it usually works to get the pot HU or 3-way the majority of the time. I have the best hand the vast majority of the time and I would like as many chips, within reason in a HU or 3-way pot (preferably HU with QQ). I'm very shocked / interested by curtains line of raising to 45. I don't like it, but obviously it's working fine for you. I don't see how you can say it doesn't make a difference though. The range that BB's will call 30 for that they wouldn't have called 60 for alone has a huge impact on the hand.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:18 PM

You are shocked? Cmon the pot is rarely ever 6 way, even wehn I raise to 45. Very often I just win the blinds or get 1-2 opponents. Yse on rare occasions there will be a huge party joining me postflop, but this isn't the end of the world if you can make good decisions...you are still going to win some big pots even in multiway fields, when you flop an overpair in the low buyin games.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:18 PM

Maybe if the BB is the type of player who can't fold top pair no matter what, that you want them calling for 30 chips?
Old 12-14-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You are shocked? Cmon the pot is rarely ever 6 way, even wehn I raise to 45. Very often I just win the blinds or get 1-2 opponents. Yse on rare occasions there will be a huge party joining me postflop, but this isn't the end of the world if you can make good decisions...you are still going to win some big pots even in multiway fields, when you flop an overpair in the low buyin games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I haven't really heard of many players doing this. Again, doesn't mean it's wrong, as I'm sure it's working fine for you, but it did throuw me for a loop. I am aware the majority of the time we don't get this sort of party with a raise to 45, but if you get it HU or 2-way almost just as much as if you raise to 75, why not get the extra chips in? Or do you not think this is true? And why make it that much easier for 33 to call you especially when you're interested in playing big pots with an overpair? I'd rather charge the hands with big implied odds and get more money in with a superior hand if I don't chase everyone else in doing so.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am aware the majority of the time we don't get this sort of party with a raise to 45, but if you get it HU or 2-way almost just as much as if you raise to 75, why not get the extra chips in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Problem you don't know whether it will be one way, 6 way or no way when you raise. If you raise to 75 here with QQ you must raise a similar amount with most other hands as well, is that really what you want? Sure it would be nice to have them call for 75 when you have QQ and only invest 45 when you have 88 but you become predictable if you stick to that.

Personally I think mixing it up is best. Raise 45, 55. 65, 75, 85 whatever. Sometimes even a raise of 175 or even god forbid raise allin works well. Not to suggest allin is the play, rather saying that that there is no black and white right or wrong amount to raise period.

You both play good doing it your way and you're both winning so you're both right.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2005, 07:45 PM

If I make a raise from this position it is always to 75 and I almost always have the best hand. My range is quite small here as I imagine curtains' is.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:48 PM

I also raise t75 here, but that's just me.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also raise t75 here, but that's just me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps t72 would work better? Just kidding.