Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-07-2005, 06:47 PM

Default Re: ($109) Bubble with micro stack - I feel like such a donk

He was good, yeah, I think I should have just folded pf after all. Just didn't want to give the wrong message, and then on the flop I saw K high, thought maybe I could move him off a lower pair, or AQ, and obviously the nut flush draw. Now I think about it, the push was retarded. Oh well. I'll be sure not to do it again in this situation that's for sure.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the guy is good, I'm going to the felt, and I'm going to it with a lot of hands. Raising to some small amount will just get re-pushed and all you do is throw away that T400 or whatever since you can't call an all-in reraise.

If the guy is bad and will call a lot, I would just fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have too much to lose trying to push-steal from the BB here (regardless of opponent) - just wait an orbit or two.

You don't need to put your game on the line for 300 chips.

And pushing at that! I like to take the pot with good hands, but going to the felt with questionable hands when the BB will be out in two orbits?!

And even if he doubles up you still have a very nice position to still 'play for first'.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:56 PM

I would probably complete preflop just because the BB is the big stack. When/if he raised I would fold. Given this flop I would push like you did.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:02 PM

I'm probably wrong, but I think this is push/fold preflop against a good 109 big stack. I think it's folding > pushing > minibetting > standard raising.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm probably wrong, but I think this is push/fold preflop against a good 109 big stack. I think it's folding > pushing > minibetting > standard raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? You have over 16 bb's. You are definitely wrong.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would probably complete preflop just because the BB is the big stack. When/if he raised I would fold. Given this flop I would push like you did.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't go that far. You still have a lot of chips and he shouldn't be looking to play pots with you. Most big stacks suck at manipulating it anyways so I'm raising here every time. This hand only becomes gross when he reraises and tells us he's willing to play a big pot.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:29 PM

Wow, all kinds of responses in this thread.

The overwhelming rule in this situation, as some others have mentioned, is not to get into a pissing contest with the other big stack when you have a marginal hand.

Folding > Completing > Raising >>>>> Pissing contest
Old 12-07-2005, 07:36 PM

You musn't go broke here. Think if he pushed and you were calling. This is one of those AA, maybe KK spots because you need to have like an 75% chance of winning. That's not the situation, but you still need an extremely large chance of winning. He made a scary raise preflop and could easily have trips or an overpair and he has you covered by enough that he will still likely be ITM if he calls and loses.

I'm torn though between checking and only calling reasonable bets or leading out with about 1000 with the possibility of a tragic laydown, but with 2nd or 3rd place still most likely. I'll sorta cop out and say it depends on whether I think he is so aggressive he will pwn most any bet I make.

Curtains' hand mentioned later is a lot different as it isn't on the bubble and he has about twice the stack of villian, but I don't see how getting villain to fold there when you are on a draw doesn't count as allowing him to make a mistake. Not that the check/raise isn't better. link