Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-06-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Cut Back Starting Hands When Frequent Cold Callers are Behind You?

Would it be wise to cut back on some opening hands when the players behind you are very liberal Cold Callers? Perhaps the weakest hand you would normally play at a particular position?

For example, the list below shows my default weakest starting hands from each position (based on mantasm's chart.)

Which, if any, might be wise to consider dropping when the chances of getting cold called in one or multiple places are higher than average?

<u>UTG</u>
KJ
JTs

<u>MP</u>
A7s
A9
K9s

<u>CO</u>
A8
K8s
Q9s
QT
J9s
JT

Would this concept apply more, less, or equally to the Button - as it would to the earlier positions? Would you tend to pass on open raising any of the following with very loose blinds that you would usually play?

<u>BUTTON</u>
A6
A5
A4
A3
A2
K7s
Q8s
Q9
J8s
J9
T9s
T8s
T9
98s
87s
76s
Old 12-06-2005, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Cut Back Starting Hands When Frequent Cold Callers are Behind You?

I'd consider completing many of those hands OTB vs loose blinds.

As for cutting out marginal hands when likely to be cc'ed, I think it's likely a good idea, although I am still raising my A8+ and K8s+ and QT+
Old 12-06-2005, 11:04 AM

I really don't like having a loose player on my immediate left for that reason. When I'm in the CO I like to be able to isolate loose limpers and get the pot heads up vs. one of the blinds on a fairly consistent basis.

I don't think it would necessarily be a sin to limp JTs UTG in a looser game. I raise KJo UTG everytime.

I'll usually raise all those hands from MP.

CO I hate raising some of the weaker hands with coldcallers behind me. I fold the small pairs but start loooking for a seat change.

From the button I'll still raise everything but the weak suited connectors. I'm confident in my ability to play postflop with all the other hands and maximize my value with them even when their ability to steal has gone down.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:01 PM

I had this today, got screwed a few times vs a 45/10/1.5 though, He never bet flop with big hands... but bet when checked to. Hes was bloddy hard to play againt, In the end of the session after a few rough hands i was down 20BB.

I'd maybe move seat? Or if you can't i'd probably still play similar to as i normally would.

If he cold calls chances are he sucks, So just raise all your strong hands. Ditch raising PP's below 88 IMO(limp but dont raise).

Im still raising KJ and stuff.

On the button you have position over him... so i wont change nout. I just wont blind steal from him if he calls losts, but ill punish him with strong hands.

I mean how loose is he? Does he cold call A5s? K5?
Old 12-06-2005, 12:03 PM

<u>UTG</u>
KJ - I'm still raising this - the chance of getting cold called by a dominated hand is pretty good.
JTs - I'd probably fold this, but limping is ok at some tables.

<u>MP</u>
66 - raise
A7s - probably raise
A9 - probably raise
K9s - fold

<u>CO</u>
33 - fold regardless (even when the button won't coldcall)
22 - fold regardless
A8 - raise
K8s - fold
Q9s - fold
QT - probably raise
J9s - fold
JT - fold

I agree with Jax on the button hands - you can limp most of them. If the small blind is tight though you should still raise.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd consider completing many of those hands OTB vs loose blinds.

As for cutting out marginal hands when likely to be cc'ed, I think it's likely a good idea, although I am still raising my A8+ and K8s+ and QT+

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one thing that I find that I have problems with. I know that you would like to be able to sit next to tight blinds that don't defend enough in 6 max games but what about when they defend too much. This should also be a big mistake by them and to our advantage. Is it as simple as you say and just completing with some more of the marginal hands here? I don't think I've ever open limped in 6 max and I always thought that that was a cardinal sin. If they are defending too much then don't we usually have an equity edge on average when raising with some of these hands and even if we don't our position and the poor qualitly of our opponents (assuming someone who defends too much will play poorly postflop, if he doesn't then I can see raising having less value) help to make up for it when we have say, 76s. Anyway, from reading an earlier post here about 76s I can see where it could be valuable to sometimes limp.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is one thing that I find that I have problems with. I know that you would like to be able to sit next to tight blinds that don't defend enough in 6 max games but what about when they defend too much. This should also be a big mistake by them and to our advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is, but we have to make changes to take advantage of their mistake. Raising hands like J9s or 76s on the button when you know you're going to get 2 callers is going to cost you a lot of chips.

Likewise if you know both players are going to call preflop and on the flop, a hand like A2o unimproved is going to get expensive fast. Limping with this hand lets you get out cheaply when you miss and punish when you hit. It's only a good strategy though when you know that both blinds will nearly always come along when you raise. If you have some folding equity then you should still raise.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:01 PM

Deception - Can you tell me why you raises/Folded hands i've disagreed with below please?

[ QUOTE ]
<u>UTG</u>
KJ - I'm still raising this - the chance of getting cold called by a dominated hand is pretty good. <font color="green"> Agree </font>
JTs - I'd probably fold this, but limping is ok at some tables. <font color="green">meh Fold or raise(Fold) </font>

<u>MP</u>
66 - raise <font color="green">I ditch this, U reckon theres value in a raise? </font>
A7s - probably raise <font color="green"> Marginal for me, I'usually ditch it - Im quite tight.</font>
A9 - probably raise <font color="green">yeah ill raise it, offsuite but im happy to play it when a ace flops. </font>
K9s - fold <font color="green">Undecided, Ditch early one but ill play it as i get a better read.</font>

<u>CO</u>
33 - fold regardless (even when the button won't coldcall)<font color="green">Junk agree. Set value only </font>
22 - fold regardless<font color="green"> junk. Set value only </font>
A8 - raise <font color="green">agree </font>
K8s - fold <font color="green"> I raise it up! </font>
Q9s - fold <font color="green">with better read raise. </font>
QT - probably raise<font color="green"> Raise. </font>
J9s - fold<font color="green">Fold </font>
JT - fold<font color="green">fold </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-06-2005, 01:34 PM

D5. I'm curious, but at what VPIP's in the blinds do you start limping A5o/J9o OTB as opposed to raising?
Old 12-06-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Deception - Can you tell me why you raises/Folded hands i've disagreed with below please?

[ QUOTE ]
<u>UTG</u>
JTs - I'd probably fold this, but limping is ok at some tables. <font color="green">meh Fold or raise(Fold) </font> Folding and raising aren't the only options. If you're going to see a flop with this hand you want to get in cheaply so if the table allows it you can limp. If not fold.

<u>MP</u>
66 - raise <font color="green">I ditch this, U reckon theres value in a raise? </font> Yes, you put the burdon on your opponents to connect with the board. They'll often continue on on a ragged flop when they are drawing thin. You very often have the best hand on a paired board, and you may pick up the pot on the flop when it's an ace high board.
A7s - probably raise <font color="green"> Marginal for me, I'usually ditch it - Im quite tight.</font> I don't understand why you'd fold this but consider raising K9s. You'll very often have the best hand when you hit an ace or on a ragged/paired board when you miss but your opponents do as well. And you have flush potential to back it up.
K9s - fold <font color="green">Undecided, Ditch early one but ill play it as i get a better read.</font> Out of position I don't like it. If your opponents are willing to call down with any ace you're in big trouble.

<u>CO</u>
K8s - fold <font color="green"> I raise it up! </font>
Q9s - fold <font color="green">with better read raise. </font>
I really don't like playing either of these against 2-3 opponents out of position. They just don't have enough high card strength or connectedness.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]