6 26 16.25%
5 12 7.50%
4 12 7.50%
2 3 1.88%
3 6 3.75%
1 8 5.00%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2005, 02:08 AM

Default Re: Do you rat out your 16 year old nephew if you think he\'s toking?

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, you threaten to tell her unless he kicks up a bud from every bag he scores to you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Even if you don't smoke, you can increase your BR buy selling the confiscated weed. +EV
Of course don't get caught. Jail is -EV
Old 11-30-2005, 02:08 AM

Uh, why isn't talking to the nephew yourself an option?
Old 11-30-2005, 02:09 AM

she already knows he has occasionaly drank (bad english ftw).

she does not approve of that...but isn't sure how to combat it. she is reluctant to do the sort of drastic things that i would think need to be done...like grounding him forever...or not letting him hang out with those kids that he drinks with.

i'm thinking thinking that if she sees that his partying is a bit more serious....then she'll be forced to be more serious about it. the goal; after all is for him to keep his braincells...not get anyone pregnant...not kill or hurt himself or anyone else driving drunk...and grow up to get the most out of life that he can
Old 11-30-2005, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
she already knows he has occasionaly drank (bad english ftw).

she does not approve of that...but isn't sure how to combat it. she is reluctant to do the sort of drastic things that i would think need to be done...like grounding him forever...or not letting him hang out with those kids that he drinks with.

i'm thinking thinking that if she sees that his partying is a bit more serious....then she'll be forced to be more serious about it. the goal; after all is for him to keep his braincells...not get anyone pregnant...not kill or hurt himself or anyone else driving drunk...and grow up to get the most out of life that he can

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, so are you concerned about him smoking pot, or doing illicit things in general?
Old 11-30-2005, 02:15 AM

It really depends on how mature of a 16 yr old he is. I was smoking pot at 13, and it actually did me a lot of good. But I think that is a fairly rare occurance. But a lot of 16 yr olds are truly old enough to handle it. If you think he falls into this camp, then I think you should bring it up with him, and threaten to tell his mom if it gets out of hand - starts skipping classes or something. Just save the pic's as evidence.

Going to his mom directly would probably damage your relationship pretty severely, and I think that is a consideration as well (unless there are multiple relatives who could have ratted him out).

If you really think it is doing him harm, then go to his mother. But only then.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

my personal opinion is that smoking pot is a terrible thing for a 16 year old to be doing (he already does badly in school).

Should I tell my sister? and if so how.

[/ QUOTE ]

i didn't read all the responses, but i do have a couple thoughts- apologies if they're redundant:

A: It's none of yer damn business.
B: it IS bad for a 16 year old to be getting high- on anything. 18, whatever, but 16... i wish i hadn't done so many drugs at that age.
C: What are you a rat!? no telling his mom. NARC! NARC! (also, that'd be a great way to sour your relationship with the kid forever. don't burn bridges)

and, most importantly...

D: Talk to him. If you care about this kid, then man-up and deal with yourself. have a heart-to-heart, tell some stories, give him some information, make sure he's not being unsafe, etc...

that's your play. any other route is WEAK SAUCE.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:17 AM

moral of the story?

if you're a girl under the age of 12 and you're high on marijuana, don't ride your bike.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:18 AM

Ordinarily I would say no, it's none of your business.

But if he's dumb enough to post pictures on the web, it's like he's asking to get caught.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

my personal opinion is that smoking pot is a terrible thing for a 16 year old to be doing (he already does badly in school).

Should I tell my sister? and if so how.

[/ QUOTE ]

i didn't read all the responses, but i do have a couple thoughts- apologies if they're redundant:

A: It's none of yer damn business.
B: it IS bad for a 16 year old to be getting high- on anything. 18, whatever, but 16... i wish i hadn't done so many drugs at that age.
C: What are you a rat!? no telling his mom. NARC! NARC! (also, that'd be a great way to sour your relationship with the kid forever. don't burn bridges)

and, most importantly...

D: Talk to him. If you care about this kid, then man-up and deal with yourself. have a heart-to-heart, tell some stories, give him some information, make sure he's not being unsafe, etc...

that's your play. any other route is WEAK SAUCE.

[/ QUOTE ]

bad advice. he needs to tell his sister. pot is not just "bad for" a 16 year old boy or girl...it is exteremely risky and could very well end up being deadly. i don't know how old you are, but mary jane is a LOT different than it was when i was 16 (17 years ago).

and who cares if the 16 year old boy likes his uncle, anyway? what a ridiculous argument against trying to help him.

for the record, my own nephew's life(17 now) is an absolute wreck because of it. he did get to come home for thanksgiving from the treatment center the judge sentenced him to, but decided to run when it was time to go back on friday. i found out where he was Saturday morning, and flagged down a policeman i know that i saw on my way to detain him myself, then watched them handcuff him and take him into custody.

i don't care if he hates me right now because i know he loves me.

tripdad
Old 11-30-2005, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it is exteremely risky and could very well end up being deadly. i don't know how old you are, but mary jane is a LOT different than it was when i was 16 (17 years ago).

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you serious? The ignorance in this post is astounding.