Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 06:42 PM

Default Some 50/100 hands. mostly boring

Alright, one check up, one getting trapped, and one curious hand.

First one, i limp AKo UTG for the limpreraise. I miss. 4 way, blinds and MP. Flop: TT6 two tone giving me a backdoor draw. BB bets he is 18/10, and goes to showdown 35. All full stats. I call. Everyone folds. Turn is a low suited giving me a flush draw. He bets, i raise, he 3 bets, i call. River: As. He bets, i raise, he 3 bets, i fold.

<font color="blue"> Thoughts. The limpreraise ok whatever, the game seemed right for it. Flop call i think is fine given chance of being ahead + hitting + taking the pot on the turn. Turn, it's somewhat unlikely that trips lead out on the flop and he def could be still be betting just a six that he will fold to the raise, seems like my semi bluff has good folding equity. Turn call once he 3 bets, i think i'm getting about 8:1, on what could be drawing dead to 66 T6, Axs or drawing to 8 outs vs the flush, seems like calling is a mistake. River, i could either call right away, raise and call/fold to the 3 bet. This seems really close, but it seems like i will not be winning more than 50% when called on my raise. </font>

2nd one, CO open limps, he's 26/10. I raise QJo in the BB. He calls. Flop: AK2. I bet he raises. I call. Turn: 2. I check, he bets, i checkraise, he 3 bets, i fold.

<font color="blue"> This is my curious one, none of his hands seem to match up very well, his flop raise is strange since most aces that limp preflop should not be raising the flop nor should any kings. So he either 1. open limped a big ace 2. raised a small ace on the flop 3. raised a medium king on the flop 4. got fruity on the flop with QJ QT TJ or a low pocket pair. If they were all equal in chance i am fine to c/r, i can't decide which is most likely though. After he 3 bets, limping a big ace becomes more likely. I think i am getting 9:1, so 11:1 if i had perfect implied odds, but i think there is a chance that he may have open limped AK AA in what should be a very small hand range. </font>

3rd one, Folded to my SB, i raise A8, call. Flop: QJ2, i bet he calls. It's so strange getting called here. Turn: 3. I bet. He callls. Even stranger getting called here. River: 8. I bet.

<font color="blue"> River seems an obvious value bet because of the hands that will check behind. But the turn confuses me since it seems like every single time he is raising or folding here which seems i should be checkcalling </font>

Thoughts?
Old 11-24-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Some 50/100 hands. mostly boring

[ QUOTE ]
First one, i limp AKo UTG for the limpreraise. I miss. 4 way, blinds and MP. Flop: TT6 two tone giving me a backdoor draw. BB bets he is 18/10, and goes to showdown 35. All full stats. I call. Everyone folds. Turn is a low suited giving me a flush draw. He bets, i raise, he 3 bets, i call. River: As. He bets, i raise, he 3 bets, i fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the river is close between a crying call and a fold when the BB leads the river. Be realistic about his holdings. Folding the flop is ok too. Pot's pretty small and I'm not really happy to see any card on the turn.

[ QUOTE ]
2nd one, CO open limps, he's 26/10. I raise QJo in the BB. He calls. Flop: AK2. I bet he raises. I call. Turn: 2. I check, he bets, i checkraise, he 3 bets, i fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd really just rather fold the turn here. I think the resteal is a better play had you not raised preflop, but then again the pot is smaller. Pretty player dependant though if his range for raising the flop includes JT or something.

[ QUOTE ]
3rd one, Folded to my SB, i raise A8, call. Flop: QJ2, i bet he calls. It's so strange getting called here. Turn: 3. I bet. He callls. Even stranger getting called there. River: 8. I bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weird. Dunno. Good line though.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:05 PM

Hm. AKo hand I think a low flush is somewhat possible, i imagine most 3 bet the turn knowning they against trips most often, and then that gives them no reason to not bet the river. But i imagine a lot of players pussy out of that at one street or another. While a fullhouse would obviously play this way. Calling seems best.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hm. AKo hand I think a low flush is somewhat possible, i imagine most 3 bet the turn knowning they against trips most often, and then that gives them no reason to not bet the river. But i imagine a lot of players pussy out of that at one street or another. While a fullhouse would obviously play this way. Calling seems best.

[/ QUOTE ]

So wait, you rivered a flush? Or not? It wasn't clear from the original post, thought you made aces up.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:14 PM

ill just go through and take each part of the post where i think youre wrong:

hand 1: "Flop call i think is fine given chance of being ahead + hitting + taking the pot on the turn." wrong. the pot is small. a fold is the correct play. this is a very simple pot/implied odds problem. there are players to act behind you on the flop. pot is too small.

hand 2 what you fail to mention is that once you raise preflop and then bet that flop his raise on the flop is very unlikely to be a move or a bluff or a bully move with a K or something, youve shown strength twice already and the flop is scary and he's still raising you. check-folding the turn is the play. the pot is not big anywhere close to big enough to make a turn c/r correct. please note also that there's no way someone who played a K that way is folding and if he has an A he now has a kicker on board so he's not folding Ax either. your turn c/r has no value here, it's a complete waste of two bbs.

hand 3 is fine. check-folding the turn is fine too, although weak tight, this sort of hand is ultra player dependenet. i think the river value bet is good, but you should check-fold the river if you dont hit the A or 8. bb's hand smells like a pair, maybe small pocket.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So wait, you rivered a flush? Or not? It wasn't clear from the original post, thought you made aces up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Made a flush on the river. Sorry.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

hand 1: "Flop call i think is fine given chance of being ahead + hitting + taking the pot on the turn." wrong. the pot is small. a fold is the correct play. this is a very simple pot/implied odds problem. there are players to act behind you on the flop. pot is too small.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree here. My folding equity is easily great than my pot odds on a 2 street bluff. The majority of his hands are going to fold the turn. I don't put much weight in my hand improving, but i like my folding equity.

[ QUOTE ]
hand 2 what you fail to mention is that once you raise preflop and then bet that flop his raise on the flop is very unlikely to be a move or a bluff or a bully move with a K or something, youve shown strength twice already and the flop is scary and he's still raising you.

[/ QUOTE ]

But my hand range becomes very sperated on the flop. All my pocket pairs will fold the flop, which is a decent amount of folding equity. Yet i don't think it's right to c/r the turn. While him bluffing the flop would be a decent play, it just doesn't happen much. I'm not sure if Ace-small folds either.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:43 PM

So what hand did you put the BB on in hand #1? You HAVE to put him on a hand before folding the river, no? Not a lot of people who indeed did have a ten would bet out the flop into just two players. Especially not when it's perfectly reasonable to expect one of the two limpers to bet at it.

I think I'd have called the river. If nothing else, it gives you valuable info about how he plays plays. But maybe you already had this info on him. If so, I'm sure you made a good fold on the river.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:52 PM

Hand one sometimes I get past the flop and sometimes I dont. I understand its tough to give him a 10, and that you want to take a shot at outplaying him on turn. Im really not that crazy about the river raise though. The fact that he is betting that river makes me think that he either has a 10, or is on some sort of garbage hand/draw that he cant call a raise with anyway. Its really hard for me to believe that he has like 77 or a random ace and is value betting you. I think folding to the three bet is right considering the amount of action you put in earlier.

Hand 2 I dont like. I know its tough to give him a real hand since his open limp shouldnt hit that board very often, but it just seems like too much action with a bad hand. If he limped with a suited ace he isnt folding to your checkraise, and he might even get stuborn with a king. These guys live to call down, especially around the button.

Hand 3 is just a uncomfotable spot, and I dont think there is any right or wrong way to play it. Sometimes I check call the turn, sometimes I check fold, and sometimes I bet. I think your line is good as a default. Im kinda torn between betting and checking the river. He didnt three bet you out of the bb, so it makes it a little less likely he has an ace or a small pair he wants to show down. Im thinking K9 K10 109 are fairly likely so a check call is better VS those hands, but there are certainly some worse hands he could call with that he will check behind so Im not sure. I could go either way.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what hand did you put the BB on in hand #1? You HAVE to put him on a hand before folding the river, no? Not a lot of people who indeed did have a ten would bet out the flop into just two players. Especially not when it's perfectly reasonable to expect one of the two limpers to bet at it.

I think I'd have called the river. If nothing else, it gives you valuable info about how he plays plays. But maybe you already had this info on him. If so, I'm sure you made a good fold on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the hand i was going to go with the logic 'he knows what i have and knows i wont fold, so he has me beat'. But it all seemed a bit 'wtf?' so i called, and switched the post because if i said i called no one would give much interest to that river decision. He had T6.