Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Not much value in a value bet

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A tag won't pay off with a draw here so he's not calling with many hands we beat making a check/call much less than terrible. Personally I still prefer bet/fold.

The poster makes this preflop call close, but as you say it's depending on the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

A tag has us beat almost never here.

[/ QUOTE ]
And a tag pays us off when beat almost never here.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Easy bet on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, I guess I'll have to take your word, since you don't have arguments.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:23 PM

Do you think a TAG bluffs this river often?
Old 11-21-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think a TAG bluffs this river often?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, as I've stated in all my previous posts I like bet/fold best, but the EV between bet/fold and check/call is close. Posters saying it's not doesn't analyse this hand like it should be. But it's also depending on how solid our read is. If we know for sure we're up against a solid, good playing tag I actually think I prefer check/call. But if it's a pretty vague read from stats I prefer bet/fold.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is terrible and I'm surprised no one has said so. Your opponent has you beat VERY rarely here, bet and print $10. Also, unless your game is very loose this preflop limp is pretty bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of hand are you putting the TAG on here besides a draw or a hand that beats mine? Do you think he's just calling down with something like A5s or Qx? That would make him a calling station, not a TAG. Any of those hands would have raised the flop if they thought they could beat mine. The turn and the river didn't make him any hands that had any business calling the flop (except 76s), so what else could he have besides a draw or a monster waiting to raise the river? Betting the river accomplishes nothing besides making him fold his busted draw or getting raised by a better hand IMO.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is terrible and I'm surprised no one has said so. Your opponent has you beat VERY rarely here, bet and print $10. Also, unless your game is very loose this preflop limp is pretty bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of hand are you putting the TAG on here besides a draw or a hand that beats mine? Do you think he's just calling down with something like A5s or Qx? That would make him a calling station, not a TAG. Any of those hands would have raised the flop if they thought they could beat mine. The turn and the river didn't make him any hands that had any business calling the flop (except 76s), so what else could he have besides a draw or a monster waiting to raise the river? Betting the river accomplishes nothing besides making him fold his busted draw or getting raised by a better hand IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys are assuming way too much about your opponent. This is Party right? How much of a read do you have on this guy? Even with some players that I might think are TAGs, they will pay me off on this river with Q/lower kicker or even mid pair.

If this guy is such a solid player what the hell is he calling you with? A backdoor flush draw? Stop focking around and bet this river.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:40 AM

...but how many times is this guy even playing Q-rag.
Even QJ has him beat.

As I said before, I value bet AQ or KQ but not worse.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I pretty much agree with this 100%. This looks like a TAG that had a draw on the flop. If he had a pair, he should have been raising on the flop.

This seems like the poster child of the time to check the river to induce a bluff.

Note, if villain ended up with a pair above second pair, then he isn't a tag and you need to adjust your read.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Note, if villain ended up with a pair above second pair, then he isn't a tag and you need to adjust your read.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I were villain I could have ended up with a pair of 7s (I assume you mean higher than 2nd pair from the flop) on the river, probably paying off a bet but not betting this river. And I consider myself a tag.

Btw a decent average tag isn't as solid as many seems thinks. I would need to be very confident in my read, not having just some stats, to not bet this river.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If I were villain I could have ended up with a pair of 7s (I assume you mean higher than 2nd pair from the flop) on the river, probably paying off a bet but not betting this river. And I consider myself a tag.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant a pair on the flop higher than 7 (Q, or an 88+ pocket pair.. e.g. something higher than what is now mid pair).. I just worded it strangely. Q should have raised the flop. Most Q's that beat us should have raised pre-flop. 88+ should have raised pre-flop, probably should have raised the flop, but waiting till a non-club turn to raise isn't the end of the world either. If he had something from that range, he isn't a tag.

So, if he is a tag, he's only going to call us on the river with a draw that paired his 7. There are far more other draws that missed than the oesd that paired the 7, so he most likely has nothing.

I check to let him bluff.

p.s. I think a case could be made for a tag villain not even calling the river with a 7. Wtf is hero betting with that a 7 would beat? Hero didn't raise pre-flop, so a big ace is unlikely. Hero claims to like the flop. One of the flop cards paired on the river, and another is an overcard to his 7 and the pot is only medium size. This would be an easier river call for villain if hero had raised pre-flop.