Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-15-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Value of positions in football?

After thinking about it some more, I think K is probably in group 3 (not 2) and LT in group 2 (not 3).

I disagree with your opinion on RB and WR.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:39 PM

QB is far ahead of the rest in the NFL. RB is far ahead in High school. College is somewhere between these two.

The other positions are much closer and depend a great deal on the scheme and the particular opposition. A particular individual player can also be so great that he increases the importance of his position. Barry Sanders, Moss, Dion Sanders, LT are all examples of this.

Also, centers are probably the least important of the OL, blind side tackle is easily the most. For college running teams, gaurds are very important.

Safetys are probably more important than corners in college, but not in the NFL.

Defensive ends and devensive tackles are too close to call.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
QB is far ahead of the rest in the NFL. RB is far ahead in High school. College is somewhere between these two.

The other positions are much closer and depend a great deal on the scheme and the particular opposition. A particular individual player can also be so great that he increases the importance of his position. Barry Sanders, Moss, Dion Sanders, LT are all examples of this.

Also, centers are probably the least important of the OL, blind side tackle is easily the most. For college running teams, gaurds are very important.

Safetys are probably more important than corners in college, but not in the NFL.

Defensive ends and devensive tackles are too close to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

DTs get hurt too much to really be in groups 1 or 2.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This has been bugging me for a while, so I would really like an answer.

Which position in football is the most important to get a star player or at least a decent one? Which positions have the biggest difference between the best players and the worst?

Anyone have any idea or some good links?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that if you look at how much each position gets paid (in the NFL) that would give you a good idea of their relative value. I think it goes something like
1 QB
2 OL
3 RB
4 DL
5 LB
6 Secondary
7 wide receiver

This list is mostly a guess, and I have no idea where kickers/punters go.

[/ QUOTE ]

remember that OL is five positions, not 1.

as stated above, QB is most important, and I hate this phrase, but it's really not close. maybe not as important as a pitcher in baseball, but pretty close. the only teams that can win without a good QB need a great running game - which involves a set of offense lineman and a RB or/and a great defense - which is obviously 11 guys, a few of whom are probably standouts.

it also depends on level of play. in high school, a lightning fast/tough RB can carry a team to victories, and a monster linebacker can terrorize an offense. this isn't nearly as true in the NFL.

I really have a hard time saying what position is #2. I would probably say a 3 down linebacker, a guy like Ray Lewis (4 years ago) or Tedy Bruschi
Old 11-15-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an extremely important point. The level of football being played matters. A mediocre high school team with a top 10 running back can bring his team to the state championship. Period. However, there's such a proliferation of good halfbacks in the NFL that their value drops drastically from college and high school.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This has been bugging me for a while, so I would really like an answer.

Which position in football is the most important to get a star player or at least a decent one? Which positions have the biggest difference between the best players and the worst?

Anyone have any idea or some good links?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that if you look at how much each position gets paid (in the NFL) that would give you a good idea of their relative value. I think it goes something like
1 QB
2 OL
3 RB
4 DL
5 LB
6 Secondary
7 wide receiver

This list is mostly a guess, and I have no idea where kickers/punters go.

[/ QUOTE ]

remember that OL is five positions, not 1.

as stated above, QB is most important, and I hate this phrase, but it's really not close. maybe not as important as a pitcher in baseball, but pretty close. the only teams that can win without a good QB need a great running game - which involves a set of offense lineman and a RB or/and a great defense - which is obviously 11 guys, a few of whom are probably standouts.

it also depends on level of play. in high school, a lightning fast/tough RB can carry a team to victories, and a monster linebacker can terrorize an offense. this isn't nearly as true in the NFL.

I really have a hard time saying what position is #2. I would probably say a 3 down linebacker, a guy like Ray Lewis (4 years ago) or Tedy Bruschi

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you want me to break down the OL,
1 LT
2 C
3 the rest of the line is about the same
Old 11-15-2005, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And to put it bluntly, your suggestion about corners and safeties is just way off base. Corners can move to safety as they get older and slower, the opposite never happens. Corners are faster and more athletic, they are more responsible for the recievers, and they are more important. Also, look at how many corners go in the first round of the draft. Now look at how many safeties do. I'll help you out. In the 2005 NFL draft, five corners went in the first round against one safety. Corner is by far the more important position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, maybe there weren't any first round safeties? I have a lot to say to this, but I don't have the time now. But your draft argument proves nothing. Your chicken and egg argument, however, is quite good.

I think, being a Philly fan, you'll certainly understand my point about schemes and such with how they handled the Corey Simon situation. To them, in their scheme, he wasn't as important a piece to justify paying him what he wanted/deserved/whatever. But guys like Gates, sure, when you get one, you change the scheme.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:42 PM

My Q was mostly NFL-based, though I'd love to hear opinions on HS Football or College Football.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:48 PM

So, I'm thinking it's
1. LT + QB
2. DE + CB
3. DT + rest of OL
4. WR + LB + RB
5. S + TE + P/K
Old 11-16-2005, 12:47 AM

I think when looking at this you need to determine which players are the most independent. I.e. you can have a horrible running back behind an amazing oline and he can be all pro. Although I think oline and dline are very important especially a left tackle the lines are veyr much units so one guy cannot make an o or dline which eliminates them. Although kickers and punters are very independent they don't count because they are not real football players. No matter how good WR's are they need a qb so they're gone. This leaves me with LB's CB's, safeties and QB's. I think a weak LB can be hidden a lot easier than weak defensive backs because they can burnt on huge plays.Although safeties are very important it's a very deep position because a lot of guys can play it(undersized backers, oversized corners) This means my top two positions are qb because he pretty much controls everything and CB. This is because corners are often in man and it is a one on one matchup where if they fail or succeed it is completely dependent on how well they play. I think the big difference between these two and the other positions is that you cannot have huge holes at cb and or qb and win superbowls.