Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 08:52 AM

Default Re: Does your diet affect your game?

Water is good for your brain. Or so they say...

web page
Old 11-15-2005, 11:42 AM

Ok well obviously through trying it red meat doesn't do your system well for poker. Try a salad before you play, with veggies and some meat. I always feel great after I eat a good salad.

Just a thought.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:35 PM

I've heard that drinking lots of water raises your IQ by like 10~. If I have a big test(I'm in college) coming up I drink a ton of water before it. You can feel yourself sink "into the zone", everything becomes so clear.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:22 AM

A proper diet will improve energy levels, which of course is good for poker. I think that the whole 'drinking water' thing is just variance. Sniffing a lemon has actually been shown to greatly increase short term concentration levels.

One thing I love about being an online pro is that it affords me the time to work out each and every day....if you are also a pro, I'd encourage you to take advantage of this- You have more free time than 99% of the people out there, so you have no excuse for not making it to the gym.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:25 AM

Being an amateur bodybuilder, I have to carefully monitor what I eat.

I find music more distracting to me while playing though. I'm more relaxed, but generally play worse under the influence of music.

As far as diet-- I play great when I drink a protein shake and it's right after a really hard workout. Like 20 rep squats or something where you feel like puking but you're so insanely alert it's not even funny.

Protein shakes, nuts, and whole grains do it for me.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sniffing a lemon has actually been shown to greatly increase short term concentration levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any idea if this is only lemons? If it were all citrus, it would be a plausible explanation of Johnny Chan's "lucky orange".
Old 11-19-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Yes.

I tend to carbo load or eat a lot a few hours before a play. If i am middle of tourney, i will snack more. This way you don't have too much food trying to be digested while you are trying to concentrate.

As for meat, meat actually helps you a lot. I would stay away from poultry cause the high tryptophan levels will make you sleepy. But a nice steak before you play is actually a very good idea.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:09 PM

Good post, although i find being in college and playing poker does not give me as much time to work out as i would like. As for me personally, i find after 2-3 alcoholic beverages, i am relaxed and fearless at the tables, after that i tend to play sub-optiamlly unless i really focus. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2005, 09:54 PM

I find that eating snacks with lots of sugar (like chocolate) hurts my game by making me more prone to mild tilt, like rushed thinking or over-aggression.

OPC