Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: 5/10 6-max stats check please

Yeah.. and I just messed up the notation.. I meant the .11/hand. I'm quasi-new to PT stats, so I don't know what some of these PT guys say is "standard." But my intuition says it should be less than .1, since if you just folded every SB you would only lose .066/hand assuming this is party with the 2/5 SB/BB structure. So it should be less than, since you should win some hands too. I don't have PT with me.. I think mine is around -.02 or -.01, but I'm also running good.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:05 PM

I think your turn aggression is too high which is leading to you not going to showdown as much as you should. I bet you are bet-folding the turn when you should be checking a lot. If your hand is shaky and you are HU it is okay to check behind on the turn and call a river bet rather than bet-fold. I think a lot of the time if you are going to bet-fold the turn with a very shaky but showdownable hand you are better off checking behind and calling a river bet unless your opponent is a calling station type of player. The shorthanded games aren't loose passive where you can bet bet bet and throw your marginal hand away when you encounter resistance. Plus if your hand is shaky and you check behind you might a) pick off a bluff or b) suck out. The pots are small when it is HU so giving a free card really isn't that big a deal anymore, especially when there is a good chance you are the one getting a free card instead of giving. I think I play more passive than most of the HUSH posters though, but that is what has worked for me.

Your blind defense numbers are great-- you don't have to play a million hands from the blinds to do well. Your VPIP is 23%, which is nice and low. Your positional VPIP is sort of messed up a little bit though-- I think you can probably play more hands in late position than you are currently playing. Your BB won on the button is only .11 and I think you might be playing a little too tight there (and in the CO). I wouldn't mess with this until I straightened out my turn betting a bit, though.

But it's only 40k hands-- you could easily just be running bad. But next time you are unsure about a turn bet heads up, try checking behind and seeing how that works out for you.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think your turn aggression is too high which is leading to you not going to showdown as much as you should. I bet you are bet-folding the turn when you should be checking a lot. If your hand is shaky and you are HU it is okay to check behind on the turn and call a river bet rather than bet-fold....

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, thx that really hit home. What if I am out of position and the turn is a scare card? What do you do, being a relatively passive player as you described yourself? Would you check call the turn and check call the river if the river doesn't get scarier than the turn? I know this is a general question and your action depends on the opponent, and the board, but would you tell me how you generally handle the same turn situation if you are not in position?
Old 11-11-2005, 04:25 PM

That situation is a guessing game. Too much depends on the player and the way the game has been going and what not to say.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...But my intuition says it should be less than .1, since if you just folded every SB you would only lose .066/hand assuming this is party with the 2/5 SB/BB structure. So it should be less than, since you should win some hands too....

[/ QUOTE ]

How are you getting at 0.066 per hand? I assume that's -0.066BB per hand IF you folded every sb... that's what you are saying?

If you folded every sb in party's 5/10 which is where I play then you lose $2 for every hand in sb. So that's -$2 per hand which is -0.2BB per hand...

So I don't understand how you are getting to -0.066BB per hand by folding all sb hands... Did I do something wrong in my analysis?
Old 11-11-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think your turn aggression is too high which is leading to you not going to showdown as much as you should. I bet you are bet-folding the turn when you should be checking a lot. If your hand is shaky and you are HU it is okay to check behind on the turn and call a river bet rather than bet-fold. I think a lot of the time if you are going to bet-fold the turn with a very shaky but showdownable hand you are better off checking behind and calling a river bet unless your opponent is a calling station type of player. The shorthanded games aren't loose passive where you can bet bet bet and throw your marginal hand away when you encounter resistance. Plus if your hand is shaky and you check behind you might a) pick off a bluff or b) suck out. The pots are small when it is HU so giving a free card really isn't that big a deal anymore, especially when there is a good chance you are the one getting a free card instead of giving. I think I play more passive than most of the HUSH posters though, but that is what has worked for me.

Your blind defense numbers are great-- you don't have to play a million hands from the blinds to do well. Your VPIP is 23%, which is nice and low. Your positional VPIP is sort of messed up a little bit though-- I think you can probably play more hands in late position than you are currently playing. Your BB won on the button is only .11 and I think you might be playing a little too tight there (and in the CO). I wouldn't mess with this until I straightened out my turn betting a bit, though.

But it's only 40k hands-- you could easily just be running bad. But next time you are unsure about a turn bet heads up, try checking behind and seeing how that works out for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys say what you want about these stats posts but I like 'em simply because Rory seems to have a soft spot for them and he always takes the time to give a nice analysis that anyone can learn from.

FWIW - I am never not surpised the wonders that checking the turn HU can do. You catch so many total river bluffs that you win with A-high or 3rd pair.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You guys say what you want about these stats posts but I like 'em simply because Rory seems to have a soft spot for them and he always takes the time to give a nice analysis that anyone can learn from.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point. I hate stats posts but I have come to realize that some people get a lot of use from them, and Rory's post is a great example of how good analysis can come out of them.

I still get frustrated by the attitude that you can tune up your engine by increasing your MPH by a few points, but now I just hold my tongue.

[ QUOTE ]

FWIW - I am never not surpised the wonders that checking the turn HU can do. You catch so many total river bluffs that you win with A-high or 3rd pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also a good point. Checking is an essential component of an aggressive game. You can't make a martini without vermouth.

/mc
Old 11-11-2005, 06:47 PM

Default thx, more inputs appreciated

Thanks everyone, especially rory for his analysis.
More inputs will be appreciated.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:39 PM

Definitely steal more.

Your blind stats are very poor overal. Could be you are to tight in the blinds. Although if confident in the blinds that could be down to sample size.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...But my intuition says it should be less than .1, since if you just folded every SB you would only lose .066/hand assuming this is party with the 2/5 SB/BB structure. So it should be less than, since you should win some hands too....

[/ QUOTE ]

How are you getting at 0.066 per hand? I assume that's -0.066BB per hand IF you folded every sb... that's what you are saying?

If you folded every sb in party's 5/10 which is where I play then you lose $2 for every hand in sb. So that's -$2 per hand which is -0.2BB per hand...

So I don't understand how you are getting to -0.066BB per hand by folding all sb hands... Did I do something wrong in my analysis?

[/ QUOTE ]

Crap. You're right, I'm wrong. For some reason I was thinking BB/TOTAL hands, not just small blind hands (and even then I screwed it up anyway.. *sigh*). Disregard what I said. I still think I'm below 0.1, though.

Any of the PT gurus know what a "good" BB/hand for SB is?