Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 01:53 AM

Default Re: I love whiskey thread

[ QUOTE ]

Jack Daniels is a Sour Mash Whiskey.
It's not technically bourbon, but I can't name any other sour mashes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jack is very similar to bourbon, but it is not made in Kentucky, therefore can not be called a bourbon.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You left out Woodford Reserve.

[/ QUOTE ]
My buddy and I did a blind taste test with this, makers, gentleman's jack, and maybe Dickel. We both agreed it was our least favorite, very strong alcohol kick to it.

[ QUOTE ]

He's so money, and you don't even know it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, if i bore you. Just started drinking, so it should make my posts a little more interesting.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You left out Woodford Reserve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn straight! Woodford is my favorite bourbon. (Although, I do love Old Crow when I'm in the mood to sip for flavor and aroma, but instead to induce unconsciousness--which does happen from time to time. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])
Old 10-19-2005, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
did a blind taste test with this, makers, gentleman's jack

[/ QUOTE ]

gentleman's jack has a very flat but slightly smoky flavor. not a huge fan. original JD is much better IMO. And obviously, maker's is awesome.

Any scotch will do, as long as it's not a blend, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure you don't repeat this advice in front of a Scot or a scotch connoisseur. Sorry, I just cringe when I hear people say this stuff. I really want to know where this idea came from? I think it was just some marketing scheme of single malts that was very successful. Probably appeared in GQ or whatever magazine people read to learn how to be a man. What made Scotch the international drink of choice was blended scotch. Blended scotch is usually 65% grain whiskey and 35% single malt. Single malt is just what one distillery produces. A master blender must take several single malts like a chef does with ingredients to produce the same taste year after year. If the bottle comes with an age, such as 12 year old that specifies the age of the youngest scotch in it. Many blends could have scotches that are much older.

Jack rocks is awesome.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:01 AM

YOU JUST DON'T GET IT.

GOOGLE THE WORDS, THEN APOLOGIZE.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
did a blind taste test with this, makers, gentleman's jack

[/ QUOTE ]

gentleman's jack has a very flat but slightly smoky flavor. not a huge fan. original JD is much better IMO. And obviously, maker's is awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]
Never said it was good, just happened to be one of the whiskeys we had on hand. I can see how someone can like Woodford, i just find it to be rather harsh. Flavor is good though.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
YOU JUST DON'T GET IT.

GOOGLE THE WORDS, THEN APOLOGIZE.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know its from swingers. Still not knowing what i should be appologizing for though.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any scotch will do, as long as it's not a blend, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure you don't repeat this advice in front of a Scot or a scotch connoisseur. Sorry, I just cringe when I hear people say this stuff. I really want to know where this idea came from? I think it was just some marketing scheme of single malts that was very successful. Probably appeared in GQ or whatever magazine people read to learn how to be a man. What made Scotch the international drink of choice was blended scotch. Blended scotch is usually 65% grain whiskey and 35% single malt. Single malt is just what one distillery produces. A master blender must take several single malts like a chef does with ingredients to produce the same taste year after year. If the bottle comes with an age, such as 12 year old that specifies the age of the youngest scotch in it. Many blends could have scotches that are much older.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right on with that. I happen to be a huge fan of the uniqueness of some of the premium single malts. but somewhere along the line there was a smear campaign against the blended brands that labeled them sort of an unhip grandpa-booze.

the finer blends like ballantine's and johnny blue/gold are just about unbeatable. in scotland, single-malts are known for their local character and tradition, while blends are renowned for the artfulness of their closely-guarded secret recipes.

god, whiskey's great. i'm going to go have a glass right now. lates!