Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 08:00 AM

Default Re: classic rock?

[ QUOTE ]
all it means is, is that we're getting old. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-14-2005, 08:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
theyve been playing GNR on classic rock stations for a while now

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. At least in New England, it's common to hear Paradise City or Sweet Child O' Mine on the classic rock stations. The Black Crowes, too.

I guess they couldn't keep the same 40-song playlist forever.

What burns me is that the "oldies" stations now have the playlist the classic rock stations used to have...the hits from the sixties and seventies. There's not one station on the radio up here that still plays 50's music like Eddie Cochran, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis and the old Elvis stuff. I don't know if there's many left in the country. I like to listen to this stuff sometimes, and it ticks me off that I can't on the regular radio.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
theyve been playing GNR on classic rock stations for a while now

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. At least in New England, it's common to hear Paradise City or Sweet Child O' Mine on the classic rock stations. The Black Crowes, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was goin to bring up. Our classic rock station has been playing the black crowes for a few years now. I have been wondering when they achieved this status and how long they've been a band for. It always seemed to me that they were a relatively recent band.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
when i am in the car i usually don't listen to the radio but when i do its usually on a classic rock station and then my next choice is one of the many alternative stations here in dallas.

a few days ago, i heard 3 songs on a classic rock station that i had never heard on a classic rock channel before.

they were:

1. alice in chains- man in the box
2. guns n' roses- paradise city
3. nirvana- smells like teen spirit

are any of these or all of them classic rock songs? i am interested to here what others define as "classic rock," is it a time period or a type of music? many arguements can be had.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not classic rock. journey and boston are not classic rock. classic rock is eric clapton, zeppelin, creedence, hendrix, the allman brothers, fleetwood, skynyrd, the stones, stevie ray and santana to name a few...

[/ QUOTE ]

As much as I love SRV, he doesn't belong in this list.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
when i am in the car i usually don't listen to the radio but when i do its usually on a classic rock station and then my next choice is one of the many alternative stations here in dallas.

a few days ago, i heard 3 songs on a classic rock station that i had never heard on a classic rock channel before.

they were:

1. alice in chains- man in the box
2. guns n' roses- paradise city
3. nirvana- smells like teen spirit

are any of these or all of them classic rock songs? i am interested to here what others define as "classic rock," is it a time period or a type of music? many arguements can be had.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not classic rock. journey and boston are not classic rock. classic rock is eric clapton, zeppelin, creedence, hendrix, the allman brothers, fleetwood, skynyrd, the stones, stevie ray and santana to name a few...

[/ QUOTE ]
Says who?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, despite the length and girth of the cock Journey sucks, it is most certainly classic rock. And Boston? Sheeeit, you should have been around in the late 70's, dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

when i posted that last night i figured that it wasn't exactly correct in that they are classic rock, but not what I think of when someone says "classic" rock...I like boston a lot actually, but they bridge classic rock and the 80's for me more than actually represent what i think is truely classic....

and yea, gnr being classic rock is just funny to me....
Old 10-14-2005, 11:17 AM

Black Crowes was big in late 80's/early 90's. Maybe you are thinking of Counting Crows. They are more mid 90's.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess they couldn't keep the same 40-song playlist forever.

[/ QUOTE ]
well maybe not 40 songs give the radio SOME credit [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

i guess i don't listen to the radio enough (probably a good thing) since hadn't heard GNR on a classic station before.

there are many arguements for this. i originally was kind of confused cause i thought, "nirvana? chains? this is alternative/grunge, it should be on the EDGE (our alternative station) not classic rock." i was thinking that classic rock is defined as a type of music not a year in music. this is what i have always thought and i would get be confused when 80's music would filter in the station but wouldn't think anything of it b/c i classified it has classic b/c it was artists such as the boss and aerosmith and the stones etc that had hits in the 70's as well.

i can somewhat understand GNR, but chains and nirvana aren't even really rock. nirvana not really started but "launched" a whole new scene of music and now they have moved from the alternative station (the scene they launched) to classic rock.

FWIW, "teen spirit" was played after fleetwood mac "gypsy" and before supertamp "the logical song."
Old 10-14-2005, 11:27 AM

I always figured classic rock was stuff newer than oldies but older than newies. So as the years pass, more stuff falls into the classic rock category but oldies are always songs of the 50's/early 60's. Sort of like antiques without the oldies.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Black Crowes was big in late 80's/early 90's. Maybe you are thinking of Counting Crows. They are more mid 90's.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, why, I am NOT queer, but thanks for the suggestion.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, why, I am NOT queer, but thanks for the suggestion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry. I was confused by your loc.