Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 11:45 AM

Default $1/2 99 hand

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, BB folds.

Turn: (5.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (14.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.75 BB

Turn raiser marked as ABC (smae player from other thread)

I didn't put anyone on a J. I thought the turn raise would be an 8 but it could also be TT (QQ,KK,AA should have raised preflop - TT should too but there wasnt much PFR) Once capped Im busted. An 8 surely wouldn't do that so must be higher PP or a J? But can I fold
Old 09-22-2005, 06:20 PM

Default Re: $1/2 99 hand

i play the same, u will find small PP's and any 8 will raise the turn. Not thrilled about being capped on the turn but u cant fold the river.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:20 PM

I play the hand the same against a unknown. with a better read i might just call down after the turn raise - ie if he is too tight to have a 8 in his hand coldcalling preflop, or pretty passive. I think an ABC player has TT+ or the case J here quite often.

and definitely don't fold the river, though I doubt ur good.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:52 PM

Personaly I just call the turn raise, and maybe bet/call the river. Or c/c.

I think once he caps you are toast, but probably can not fold.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:54 PM

Common, it's 1/2. I've seen plenty of players in 1/2 who would raise and cap in that position with much less than a pair of 8s. I definitely wouldn't fold no matter the player. In a few cases I'd consider raising the river.

most 1/2 6 max players are rediculous.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:07 PM

I'd play mainly the same, but I think id slow down during the turn, I would think you would want to keep CO around, he seems to be drawing dead. I could easily see a slowplayed J or any other PP. But to answer your question, no... I woudlnt fold this....ever
Old 09-22-2005, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Common, it's 1/2. I've seen plenty of players in 1/2 who would raise and cap in that position with much less than a pair of 8s. I definitely wouldn't fold no matter the player. In a few cases I'd consider raising the river.

most 1/2 6 max players are rediculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this type of play is just too much. Many players here complain about having frequent wild swings. Maybe this kind of play is the reason... I dont know it just seems too aggressive to me. I think the same overall BB/100 can be obtained with a little less aggression, without the wild swings. Its still standard poker, sans 4 chairs.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:35 PM

My basic point here is that it seems like you guys are playing the cards too much in a game that's notorious for the poor play of its players. Every board is different, though. The VAST majority of the time I'd check call on the river, too. I've seen a lot of players that would cap with an 8 or a bluff there. Please don't get the impression that I'd generally keep raising here, though. I'm just saying I'd consider it.

Oh, and my winrate is steady, FWIW. I definitely agree that wild swings described on this site seem to be influenced by overly aggressive play. A lot of people take overcards and middle pair too far.