Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Week 2 NFL Review

Not sure if there is any interest in this, but I thought I'd start a thread and see what happens.

I'd like to see some sort of discussion of the week 2 games against the spread. Its not fair to go back through people's "my picks!" threads and shred them, but I thought some sort of discussion about outcomes and what they might tell us in the future might be helpful. I'd especially like to hear from folks that saw the games (live or on TV) and might be able to add more insight than what the final score was.

EX:

Chargers +3 @ Denver : Result = TIE

My thoughts:
1 - the Chargers were outplayed most of the game and still managed to only lose by 3. The Broncos marched right down the field with their opening drive only to have Anderson fumble while trying to leap the pile at the goal line.
2 - once again LT didn't get enough touches. He tore up the Broncs in the first half, and then was MIA for most of the 2nd half.
3 - The chargers secondary is TERRIBLE! They have now made Drew Bledsoe and Jake Plummer look excellent in back to back weeks
4 - the chargers run D is very good. That 3-4 does a great job of stuffing the run with athletic linebackers. They just dont' get after the QB very well
5 - Schottenheimer is brutal. 1st play of the 2nd half is a play action fake to a 6yd out? Come on, if you want to go PA to start the half, fine, but at least run Gates on a seam route or turn Parker loose up the sideline and have Brees throw an "only my guy can catch this" pass.
6 - The Broncos are tough at home

49ers / Eagles:
1 - McNabb is fine
2 - the 9er D (2ndary especially)is just horrible. How did the Rams lose to these guys? On TO's 2nd TD, the 9er safety took an absolutely horrible angle to the pass, was 3yards late getting there anyhow and then gave up on the play. I want to be in the film room today when they review that play -- that guy is going to get his ass handed to him. And there were several other plays like that (GLewis' TD is another example of the safety making a poor decision).

Those are the 2 games I spent a lot of time watching. I saw most of the 4th quarter of the Pats game, but don't have any insight there except to say that the Pats aren't the unbeatable team they were last year. There are chinks in that Defense.

Any thoughts on any other games?

If this thread dies I won't start one next week...
FishNChips
Old 09-19-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Week 2 NFL Review

There was another play in the Eagles/9ners game that was just as bad. Julian Peterson had Westbrook man-to-man when the Eagles were at like the 3 yard line. Westbrook went in motion and Peterson just casually jogged after him and what do you know he was about 3 steps late on the play leaving Westbrook wide open for an easy TD.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There was another play in the Eagles/9ners game that was just as bad. Julian Peterson had Westbrook man-to-man when the Eagles were at like the 3 yard line. Westbrook went in motion and Peterson just casually jogged after him and what do you know he was about 3 steps late on the play leaving Westbrook wide open for an easy TD.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh yeah... forgot that one. whoever was doing commentary on this game just KILLED Peterson for this one. Seriously, how do the 9ers beat the Rams and then lay this turd? the NFL is friggin CRAZY!
Old 09-19-2005, 02:46 PM

Don't have nearly enough time to review every game so I'll be happy to contribute what I can. Quid Pro Quo

Bears/Lions
-Bears defense is solid all around, but much more so against the run. Secondary is competent, but their success against against Harrington was mostly due to Detroits own mistakes and good pressure by the line. Have a bad feeling that a good quarterback could cut them up.

-Harrington still has no composure. The worse the score gets the worse he plays. He threw one pick because of a deflection,and one because of a bad route. After that it was all on him forcing throws. Probably only useful for a halftime bet but fun to watch.

-Orton is better than you think. Not great, but a huge upgrade from last year.

-Overall, don't let the score fool you. This wasn't a domination like Philly had this week. Bears played solid ball, took advantage of every mistake the Lions made, and basically just sat back as Detroit self destructed from the end of the second quarter on.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:59 PM

I think it is useful to try and come to terms with things we have learned so as to separate this years teams and season from that a year ago.

Things will continue to get more clear but thus far we have been shown this (all in my opinion) -

Minnesota is really, really bad. No doubt they will put up a couple big pt wins over probably some average teams that will make people wonder, but I don't see them getting it together. looking at like 6-10 or worse.

Packers - probably as bad or worse than the Vikings.

Bucs look great. It looks like Gruden has finally gotten this team together and they look tough. I wouldn't have thought it at first, but barring some 2nd half breakdown, It looks like they should go 10-6.

Colts, Steelers, Chiefs look sick. Great shot for 40 total wins among themselves. They really look like they have taken it up a notch at this point.

NFC is pretty bad.

The public majority picks are wrong more often than right.

DPen
Old 09-19-2005, 03:02 PM

Default This is a good idea

I'd hoped for this type of discussion/debate and analysis from the weekly contests- playing is fun, but getting information to get paid is even better!

Keep it up- don't get discouraged if there isn't much feedback for the first few. It actually reminds me of an idea that I had on handing out "analysis assignments" for each week. I'll post on that later.

<font color="blue"> How did the Rams lose to these guys? </font>

Turnovers, which is why I thought the Rams would do better this week than they did.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Re: This is a good idea

[ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> How did the Rams lose to these guys? </font>

Turnovers, which is why I thought the Rams would do better this week than they did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true - the 49ers turned it over more than they did.
Also, it's not 1999 anymore and the Rams suck.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:49 PM

Packers are really, really bad

The defense gets no pressure. Trent Dilfer sat back all day and tore them up! Not sure about rush defense. It looked adequete, but the Browns rushing is mediocre thus far. Packers secondary still cannot tackle and still take poor angles.

On offense, the injury to Walker appears to be a really big deal. Driver is ok, the rest of the receivers run routes poorly. Chapman has some speed which might show up in reverses and YAC. Ferguson has experience in the system. But, Favre is past his prime. He's throwing to the wrong guys (That play he yelled at Ferguson for missing a 2 yd pass by turning the wrong way, he had his TE open for a tuddie over the middle) and Favre's trying to thread the needle for 8 yard gains (that pick near his own 20 was atrocious). The Packers passing attack is so bad that opponents are selling out to stop the run. Combined with the loss of a few linemen, the Packers got nothing on the ground right now.

Of course, teams can change and Favre has turned it around in the past. But, a loss to Cleveland at home in that fashion was a very bad sign.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:16 PM

All I can add to any of this is that Seattle looked like they wanted to lose and couldn't quite manage it.

I don't recall seeing such a gutless performance for quite some time.

Lori
Old 09-19-2005, 07:49 PM

Great thread. A couple years back I frequented a sports handicapping site and someone used to do a thread every week called "what did we learn." Super helpful.

I think this week we learned just how bad the Ravens offense is. Boller, Wright, it does not really matter. And Jamal Lewis is going to get stuffed until either the pass attack improves or the Ravens play someone with a poor run defense or undersized front line.

I can't see eating chalk with the Ravens.