Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 08:46 PM

Default Let the LAG bet it for me

Villain is a total LAG 42/18/2. I figured this was the best way to extract the max. There aren't too many hands in his range he could call profitably with, but lots of hands he could bluff with. This type of player will also rarely take free cards.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls.

Flop: (7 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (6.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 8.50 BB
Old 09-15-2005, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Let the LAG bet it for me

If you're ahead, he's got 6 full outs. I don't want him to control whether or not he gets to draw for free.

I'm leading this flop. What I do after that is read-dependent.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:59 PM

If there's a chance that the LAG will fold if you fire on the flop and represent the ace, then that could be worth a try. You would like the LAG to fold his JTo on the flop. And if he wants to bluff-raise with it, then that's okay too, so long as you're not planning to fold.

I wouldn't go nuts, though. What I'd probably do is make one follow-up flop bet to my preflop 3-bet and then, if I got raised, call down after that.

Anyway, checking and calling with so-so hands against LAGs is often a good strategy.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're ahead, he's got 6 full outs. I don't want him to control whether or not he gets to draw for free.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but do I make any money in these small pots when all my opponent does is fold? If the pot were larger I would bet, but when it comes to heads up play in small pots you have to extract the max.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but do I make any money in these small pots when all my opponent does is fold? If the pot were larger I would bet, but when it comes to heads up play in small pots you have to extract the max.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hm. Well I agree to some extent. But a 3.5BB pot isn't that insignificant.

I'd feel better about this with KK or QQ here.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:10 PM

This pot is NOT small on the flop. Your opponent is getting 7:1 on a hand that needs about that odds to continue, but if he hits you will pay him off, so he is getting 11:1 (2 big bets).

Betting the flop is not a bad idea.