Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 09-15-2005, 10:22 AM

Default Re: The Bizarre Tiny Bet Thread

ScubaChuck has it right. In my experience most of the time you will normally see these tiny bets into large pots generally early in the game. As ScubaChuck noted most of the time the bettor has a weak hand and it is nothing more than a weak bet. Early in the game you still have the new riff-raff who really don't know any better and put out these mini-bets. If they are still hanging around in the later stages I would imagine they are still betting the absolute minimum then also.

What is very nice about this unless these players are putting on a show is that you can normally move them off of most pots with a modest reraise. Most often their power hands will be way overbet and they will be extremely eager to get all-in with monsters and not value or mini-bet made big hands.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:50 AM

I actually make note of people that tend to use the check/fold button. If I get heads up with them in levels 1-3, I will pause a few seconds to let them click the check/fold button and min bet with any 2 cards.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:35 PM

check/call-lead out

classic
Old 09-15-2005, 02:46 PM

To be honest, I never do this, and I'll never understand why people do. If you're bluffing, a small bet is weak and unlikely to get someone off a hand. If you bet for value, you're losing a lot of equity when people call.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:46 PM

We can all point and laugh at the goofy min betting donks, but have you actually looked at how often this takes a pot down in the early levels. The uber weak-tight play at the early levels leads to a whole lot of folds. How often do you see a SB make this bet into 3 or more players and take down the pot. The EP players fold because they don't have enough of a hand to get involved with players behind them and the late position guy thinks "I don't think he has anything but neither do I and these 800 chip stacks sure are small and why do i have to be sherriff....aww let him have it....stupid min betting donk....."

C'mon you know you've folded to these bets.....
Old 09-15-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2) A bet representing any paired card on the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

If its top pair its usually a poor kicker as well.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:09 AM

First level is exactly when I want to be playing sherriff because I have the chips to get away from the hand if it turns out that this is the one donk in 50 who actually has a hand when he makes this bet. Playing in the 20/2's I've been seeing a lot of these lately and I'm starting to wonder if it might not be prudent to play back with any two (assuming you still have a reasonable stack afterward) just to see if it will work, then make a note for higher levels. I already have a similar policy for preflop miniraises (calling with any two in the big blind, then leading or c/r ing if I hit the flop at all).

Of course, all of this assumes that the donks will still be around when the blinds are that high, but as we speak I'm in a 20/2 that looks like it's going to hit the bubble in level 4 at the latest, so...

[ QUOTE ]
***** Hand History for Game 2719769944 *****
15/30 Tourney Texas Hold'em Game Table (NL) (Tournament 15779921) - Fri Sep 16 01:57:47 EDT 2005
Table Table 13968 (Real Money) -- Seat 3 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: mayfielr (915)
Seat 2: chuxter8 (760)
Seat 3: ItsNotXhad (770)
Seat 4: time_go_up (785)
Seat 5: Bansada (965)
Seat 6: jhallas (1795)
Seat 7: specialKent (330)
Seat 9: PokerPhenom0 (755)
Seat 10: rsploco78 (925)
time_go_up posts small blind (10)