Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Good BBQ in SJ

I lived in San Jose (Ca.) for 10 years and still have not found a decent BBQ place. Yes, I know BBQ here sucks! Does anyone know of a decent place in the South Bay worth going to? Please do not say Armadillo Willy's as that place is pretty poor as fas a BBQ is concerned. I'm open to a drive, but don't really want to drive to SF or Oakland (probably my best bet) to get it. Anyone know of a place to get good ribs, pork shoulder, pulled pork, brisket, etc. around here?
Old 09-07-2005, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Good BBQ in SJ

[ QUOTE ]
I lived in San Jose (Ca.) for 10 years and still have not found a decent BBQ place. Yes, I know BBQ here sucks! Does anyone know of a decent place in the South Bay worth going to? Please do not say Armadillo Willy's as that place is pretty poor as fas a BBQ is concerned. I'm open to a drive, but don't really want to drive to SF or Oakland (probably my best bet) to get it. Anyone know of a place to get good ribs, pork shoulder, pulled pork, brisket, etc. around here?

[/ QUOTE ]

These things are always so subjective. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I'm not transplanted from anywhere, but there are transplanted Southeners in my GF's office who have deemed this place "acceptable":

Southern Heritage in Fremont

We've been there once, and thought it was really good, but tastes vary. It was, I think, Arkansas-style, so the sauce is tangy, and poured over the meat when served.

There was also a good place called Uncle Frank's in East Palo Alto, but he had some problems with the city or something, so he is, for now, plying his trade at Francesca's in Mountain View on Old Middlefield. It's a tavern, so 21 and over only. IIRC, Uncle Frank's is Louisiana-style, sauce on the side.

HTH
Old 09-07-2005, 01:52 PM

I have been wanting to try some BBQ in Oakland for awhile. If you hang around the Chowhound forums, a lot of them have great reviews for Southern Cafe and Nellie's. These two may be the best available in the Bay Area. Heres a few threads on those forums that you might find interesting.

Comparison of Southern Cafe vs Nellie's

Review for Nellie's

Extensive review of Nellie's
Old 09-07-2005, 02:27 PM

BBQ in Cali is a waste of time.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:35 PM

Quincy's in Milpitas seemed pretty decent the couple of times I went there. In Castroville, the Central Texas Barbeque has a good reputation though I've never been there.

Disclaimer: I don't think Armadillo Willy's is bad.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:48 PM

There is a good BBQ joint in San Jose. I don't remember the name but it is on the corner of Oakland rd. and Charles St. This is about 2 blocks north of 101 and 13th st.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quincy's in Milpitas seemed pretty decent the couple of times I went there. In Castroville, the Central Texas Barbeque has a good reputation though I've never been there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been to Central Texan a few times, and like it a lot. Hit or miss on the brisket, but the pork shoulder is very good. I thought Castroville might be a bit of a haul from San Jose, though...
Old 09-07-2005, 10:42 PM

Uncle Frank's was quite good. Always parked right in front so I could keep an eye on my car. Some highlights of my last trip there, about a year ago:

1. While chowing down on piles of tasty brisket and hot links, Crazy Cousin Bill is hanging out, tripping balls. Fun for the whole family.

2. Two crackheads came up and started begging Frank for a bunch of money. He chased them off with a broom. I'm sure the shotgun from under the counter was next...

3. After being totally full, bordering on ill, Frank comes out from the kitchen and says to my buddy and I "Y'all gonna eat some cobbler, right? It's fresh out the oven." It wasn't really a question, so we ate the cobbler. It's delicious - ooey gooey and fresh out the oven, as he said.

Good times, good times. I didn't realize that the new joint was open - I'll have to go check it out.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BBQ in Cali is a waste of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing like stating the obvious.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2005, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a good BBQ joint in San Jose. I don't remember the name but it is on the corner of Oakland rd. and Charles St. This is about 2 blocks north of 101 and 13th st.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will definitely check this out.. close to my work.

Thanks