Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 08-29-2005, 01:18 AM

Default Re: Wow. Just . . . WOW. (Sorry, LC)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what is the expected win rate for someone who knows what they're doing on these tables? Eleventy-billion BB/100 or so? I'm guessing?

[/ QUOTE ]

The full moon must have really helped. But despite what you might think, the party stud games arent nearly as profitable as their hold'em counterparts at any limit. I'm not sure what limit you were playing at but you can call yourself a stud expert if you can average 1BB/hr in 10-20 or 20-40 over time.

Mike Emery

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense mike but you seem a little bitter in this thread. Speculating about wr it's silly first of all, secondly there is absolutely no way for you to know this. I don't care how many hands you've played it's nowhere near enough to be so definitive.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what is the expected win rate for someone who knows what they're doing on these tables? Eleventy-billion BB/100 or so? I'm guessing?

[/ QUOTE ]

The full moon must have really helped. But despite what you might think, the party stud games arent nearly as profitable as their hold'em counterparts at any limit. I'm not sure what limit you were playing at but you can call yourself a stud expert if you can average 1BB/hr in 10-20 or 20-40 over time.

Mike Emery

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense mike but you seem a little bitter in this thread. Speculating about wr it's silly first of all, secondly there is absolutely no way for you to know this. I don't care how many hands you've played it's nowhere near enough to be so definitive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bitter? How so? Mike's a cool MFer.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:31 AM

sorry i mixed up beer and mikes posts. put together they sound bitter. ignore me sorry.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry i mixed up beer and mikes posts. put together they sound bitter. ignore me sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely bitter Beer [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. Didn't think there was anything wrong with Mike's response though. Obviously, I'm a Stud newbie, all I have is a quick first impression of the games.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:51 AM

nah everything is fine i should know better then to post while multi-tabling. i'd delete my original post if I could.

i'd be shocked of 3b/100 wasn't possible at the 5/10 at least but others may know better i.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

Quote:

Mike Emery

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not bitter in any manner. I just was pointing out that winrates described by some just arent realistic. I dont want people in the doldrums when they are soild players but cant make the "expected" 4-5 BB's per hour in 5-10, or over 1BB per hr. in 10-20.

In regards to the "there is no way you can know this, I dont care how many hands you've played", this is a little silly. As I stated in a earlier post I have played more hands than you could fathom (deep into six figures) in those party stud games. I have also consulted and discussed winrates with some of the best party stud players. The fact that our winrates are very close over time at certain limits is no suprise or coincidence. I can be "very definitive" when I say certain winrates are unattainable.

Mike Emery
Old 08-29-2005, 02:27 AM

my bad <crawling back into lurk mode>.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:49 AM

I've logged quite a few hands in Stud 8/b on Party and Stars in my day, from 1/2 up to 10/20. Mike Emery is more or less correct - it'd be impossible to average 4-5bb/100 consistantly, even if multitabling. You need to pay attention to all the dead cards, live cards, and opponent tendencies moreso than Hold 'em, and there's no PokerTracker overlay client that helps automate this. As such, playing 3 tables seems to be the upper limit to play at 85% or better of your true potential (in my opinion).

That said, if you only play when the absolute fish are on (*cough*golfmaster *cough*), you can reach some high winning rates - but be prepared for some serious variance in a game like Stud or especially Stud 8/b.

I average around 1-1.5bb/100 at the Stud 8/b tables on Party nowadays over a decent sample size, and I consider that to be very good for my play skill (which I feel is mediocre to slightly above average).
Old 08-29-2005, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That said, if you only play when the absolute fish are on (*cough*golfmaster *cough*),

[/ QUOTE ]
You know when I first started playing stud/8 I thought he was a good player... how I ever managed to start out with a 100BB upswing at 10/20 I'll never know. Thankfully I am much wiser now.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:16 AM

Does anyone else here still play Stars 1/2 stud hi? I'm curious what other people's winrate is in this game. I only recently started keeping accurate time records to keep track of my winrate... but over the short time I have (10k or so hands) I've been running well, and my rate has been 7 BB/hr. I use pretty strict game selection (50% + to 4th, avg. pot > 6BB). I know that kind of winrate would be unattainable in any 5/10 or 10/20 game... but is a sustained 4-5 BB/hr unrealistic in the Stars 1/2 game?

I have noticed that I'm playing a lot smarter since I started keeping track of this, too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]