Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 11:42 PM

Default Re: Top Notch New Orleans restaurants?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mother's, in the business district. And it's not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone told me that but we didnt like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably because it's overrated and not that good.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's only for duping tourists.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mother's, in the business district. And it's not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone told me that but we didnt like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably because it's overrated and not that good.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's only for duping tourists.

[/ QUOTE ]

Decent place for pancakes, coffee and yukking it up with locals and tourists alike. Ultimately, though, it is just a greasy spoon with a line of people trying to be hip because they ate at "Mothers".
Old 08-19-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Decent place for pancakes, coffee and yukking it up with locals and tourists alike. Ultimately, though, it is just a greasy spoon with a line of people trying to be hip because they ate at "Mothers".

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you suggest a place with better Po'Boys for the next time I'm in New Orleans?
Old 08-19-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Can you suggest a place with better Po'Boys for the next time I'm in New Orleans?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never gone to Mothers, so I can't really denigrate it, but here's some great local spots...

Domilises: Uptown, fried shrimp with roast beef gravy.

Liuzas by the track: Mid city, the barbecued shrimp po boy is what they are famous for; wow there is enough fat in that to last a normal person a week. If you find a woman not scared too finish it, marry her. Its a nice local bar too, but get a bottle of Barqs with the meal. Gumbo is really good there, and the food is practically free, cause you pay with the money you just won at the fairgrounds.

Casamentos: Most famous local oyster place in the city. They're not even open when its not oyster season.

Verti Marte: Divey French Quarter tradition, maybe too local for some, but I love it. "All that Jazz" has shrimp, ham, turkey, mushrooms, and tomotoes...all grilled and topped with melted cheese. No tables, but you can have them deliver to whatever bar you're wasting your time at. My favorite fried shrimp in the quarter.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:27 AM

Deanie's. Nothing fancy, just excellent seafood.

Victor's. Fancy. In the Ritz-Carlton.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:21 AM

I was there last month and ate at two places I never eaten before and both were great. K-Pauls and Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse. Of course, most of the other places listed already are great too. I would NOT recommend The Pelican Club. A group of 10 of us ate there in February and collectively I think we had one of the worst meals ever for the money we were charged. There are just too many other fantastic places to eat in N.O. to consider going back to that place.

I try to make a point of going to The Gumbo Shop about every other trip even though it is not as prestigious (or as pricy) as some of the classic places the food is always top notch.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Luizzas, Johnny's and the Acme Oyster House all have excellent poorboys, IMO. There are some places in Metairie that make great ones too like Deanies (there is now a Deanies on Iberville too--be sure and get the onion rings) and Short Stop Po-Boys on Transcontinential.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I already mentioned the BBQ Shrimp PoBoy at Liuzza's, and I also have to second Verti Marte. Verti Marte is open 24 hours and will deliver to the Quarter.

Meme's, a small grocery store on the corner of Canal Blvd and Robert E. Lee, has perfect French Fry PoBoys, if you're into them. They'll even give you an extra tub of gravy on the side.

You should also get a snowball at Hansen's on Tchoupitoulas and (I think) Bordeaux Street.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:35 AM

I am pretty sure that after a night on bourbon Camallia Grill is probably the best tasting food on the planet.

Then again I remember saying that the Lucky Dog I ate down there was the best hotdog ever, so that may not be saying much.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:05 AM

I really liked the brunch at the Court of 3 Sisters.