Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 08-14-2005, 01:18 AM

Default Line Check - QJo

100+9 on stars, down to 41, 36 pay. 11.5k avg, 1st hand after break @ 300/600/50.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (8 handed) converter

CO (t21651)
Button (t6833)
SB (t4520)
Hero (t8418)
UTG (t3640)
UTG+1 (t23003)
MP1 (t17094)
MP2 (t18261)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls t600, CO calls t600, Button calls t600, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (t2750) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t2400</font>, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t7768</font>
Old 08-14-2005, 03:24 AM

Default Re: Line Check - QJo

Meh, I'd like it more if the bet came from somewhere else, but I really don't see another way to play it. Nh.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:46 AM

Default Re: Line Check - QJo

I think I would have lead for 1800ish. If you know you want to get all of your money in anyway, why not bet 1800-2400 and reraise all-in on any raise. Or re-evaluate your hand in the face of the action.

That being said, I guess you were trying to C/R all-in to freeze out the draws, but in this case the villain is getting a little over two to one, which is enough to try to catch a straight draw if he has one, and if he has KQ (unlikely but possible given the pre-flop action) he has even more outs. Also, with the size of his lead, it doesn't look like he's going anywhere. If he calls your bet and loses he has just under the avg. stack-- this was true of all of your opponents except the button. I'm not sure there's enough FE here for this play to work. I think your bet only folds hands you are beating, and offers good odds to the most likely draws.

This just occurred to me: If you have the best hand, you could checkraise all-in to make the most money. You are going to the river with this hand, and by checkraising you give yourself a chance to pick up more chips when someone bets who would have otherwise folded to your initial push. You don't really care if he calls or folds as long as you're ahead. And it's unlikely that the Villain limped QQ,KK,AA,AQ. So the most likely bad cases are 66, TT and - which have you pretty dead, but this is a good spot to pick up chips.

I still like leading here, but I see the appeal of C/R all-in.

FOITNOF,

-D.