Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 06-16-2005, 01:19 PM

Default Unexpected Bankroll Growth

In the month of June, my bankroll has increased (4x) way beyond any of my expectations due to some big multi-table wins and an awesome month (so far) at the ring games. Although I am very pleased (very), I am thinking about how this will affect the limits I play.

Before this all happened, I had been a 4-tabling $50NL on party, and I would dabble in the $100NL every now and then. Last week, after the first MTT finish, I started playing $100NL and dabbling in $200NL. I have no where near as many hands in at these levels than I do for $50NL, therefore I don't feel comfortable without getting some practice in at the other levels. Now, I was always taught to move up the levels in time, but with the recent success, I thought about skipping a level.

Now, I don't know if this is advisable by anyone. I had wanted to get comfortable with a level before moving up, but if I can skip a level, should I do it? -- I don't know how the $100NL compares to the $200NL compares to the $400NL. Is there magic rule for a BR needed for NL? I always knew about the 300xBB for limit, so I didn't know if anything was comparable.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated, thanks!
Old 06-16-2005, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Unexpected Bankroll Growth

I'm also in the same situation where I was playing NL200 and got 3rd in a 100k tourny and could jump up to even NL1k but I think it is best to move up one step at a time. Once i get comfortable at the 400 level, I will move up to 600 but I'm not gonna just jump up 2 levels. As far as BR requirements, 15-20 buyins is usually solid for whatever level you play and is what I go by as well.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:29 PM

Skipping levels bad. You will hit a downswing, and if you go up to a higher level you will not be used to losing however much you will eventually lose in one session. Which could end being pretty bad.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:38 PM

I posted this on another thread, but I'll cross post here.

My regular game is 5/10SH, but I've played some 10/20SH and 15/30SH, and wondered where the fvcktards come from. Then I concluded that these players are probably luckboxes on a rush. They will inevitably get killed when the luck stops. I suspect that a lot of mid limit players will tell you that a good chunk of their profits come from luckboxes playing way above their skill level.

My advice to you is to keep playing your normal game until you feel that it is time to move up (skill wise), and to ignore your windfall bankroll.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:41 PM

Why not withdraw some money and "work" your way up? You will learn alot from that...
Money shouldnt be the factor which limit you play rather skill and experience.

Keep atleast 15-20 buyins for the level you intend to play eventually.

Regards
Snow
Old 06-16-2005, 02:53 PM

Second what everyone else says about not skipping a level.

Just keep what you need and put the most away in interest bearing accounts and live it up a little with the rest
Old 06-16-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not withdraw some money and "work" your way up? You will learn alot from that...
Money shouldnt be the factor which limit you play rather skill and experience.

Keep atleast 15-20 buyins for the level you intend to play eventually.

Regards
Snow

[/ QUOTE ]

This is great advice. Maybe leave yourself a little extra for when you feel like taking shots at the higher limits. You've certainly earned the right...and the means to do it.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:55 PM

I went through a similar situation last fall. I played mostly NL$50 and the $5.50 and $11 MTTs and STTs. Well, I cashed in a few big MTTs in a short period of time and my bankroll increased about 10x. I decided this was a good opportunity to move up a couple levels and went to NL$200 and even some NL$400. I continued doing ok for a while, basically breaking even until I hit a big downswing in variance. A few big losing sessions, though, and I hit a freefall. After a couple months of losing I was even losing at NL$50 and NL$25 in games that I would have crushed before. The initial big downswing in my bankroll may have been from variance, but the results that followed were because I started playing scared and went wayyy off my game. Even when I made big scores in MTTs, I would quickly lose it back. I finally had to take a break from poker. Luckily during my break I stumbled onto this site. This site helped me realize what had happened and now looking back I am aware of the problems I was making. I am again a winning player, but understand much more my limitations and I am going to take it much easier in my progression this time.

This is my long and rambling way of saying that bankroll should not be your only consideration in moving up. You need to make sure that your skills are developing and that you are prepared mentally for the differences in the games, especially the bigger swings in that bankroll. I wish I could go back and take more of that money out and have just stayed at my normal limits for a while longer and I would probably be much better off today, although the lessons I learned during my downswing were important as well.

So, take some of the money out to enjoy it and/or move up a level, but don't go skipping ahead, and be prepared to move back down quickly if you become uncomfortable.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:24 PM

If you're comfortable with the new stakes go for it. A few of our regulars have made leaps from 3/6 straight to 15/30 in somewhat similar situations.

Starting out with a downswing will be the worst few days of your poker career though.

Personally I am too cautious. I'd move up to the 100 and dabble in the 200 and withdraw the rest for a nice vacation.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:00 PM

thanks for all the advice.

i think i'm just going to stick at the $100NL/$200NL where i feel more comfortable at, after i get enough hands in at the levels, i'll move up.

i didn't want to skip levels, i knew there would be many risks involved, and i had always been one to work it up (i started with $75 and have worked it to $12k now, between ring and MTTs) and play smart with it.

i definately see a vacation/new toys coming my way.

thanks again!