Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 05-19-2005, 06:43 PM

Default Just go all in preflop?

CO was around 50/10 after 40 hands. I didn't remember seeing him make any 3+ bets preflop or postflop errors. Thanks for your comments.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) converter

MP ($24.95)
CO ($66.55)
Button ($11.15)
Hero ($49.50)
BB ($51.85)
UTG ($31.75)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $1</font>, Button calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $12</font>, Button folds, Hero thinks for 20 seconds and calls $8.

Flop: ($25.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $37.5 (All-In)</font>
Old 05-19-2005, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Just go all in preflop?

I'd say no to the all in. The only hand you are going to get called with is AA or a lower set(or if they put you on a bluff). Put out a bet that seems a little weak and let the vilian raise you all in. If he/she doesn't then, you have a chance to go all in on the turn. There is nothing to be afraid of here so take your time extracting as much money as you can.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:53 PM

Yeah I really blew my load on the flop [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] A smaller bet is a much better idea.

What do you think about the preflop call?
Old 05-19-2005, 07:15 PM

I usually 3-bet kings, but i play amongst idiots, so this play is +EV.

i imagine your going to be playing against idiots in pokerstars at this level (not sure how soft the games are) but 3-betting kings is fine pre-flop.

your post flop play was horrible here, but i'm sure you realise this.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:25 PM

Checking the flop is also an option. Your hesitation on the preflop call works to your advantage. If he believes you're lost in the hand and can be pushed out with a big bet, you're on your way to being rich.

You're so far ahead, given this wonderful flop, that slowplaying becomes an intriguing choice. If he needs another card to get in a betting mood, you're willing to give it to him.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:46 PM

I think the pre-flop call is good. You've put enough money in the pot that weak hands are going to get out and if an Ace comes on the flop you can get away from the hand if you think the villain has it.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your post flop play was horrible here, but i'm sure you realise this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I didn't realize how bad it was until I saw the replies and thought about it some more.

I really doubt he has Kx or a set. If he has AK or AA we will get all in by the river, there's no way QQ or less will call $37.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the pre-flop call is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my main concern. As a NL newbie it feels weird not putting as much money as you can into the pot with KK.

I think this thread is done, my flop play was horrendous.

Results:
Flop: ($25.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $37.5 (All-In)</font>, CO calls $37.50.

Turn: ($100.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($100.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $100.50

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ks Kd (three of a kind, kings).
CO has Ah As (one pair, aces).
Outcome: Hero wins $100.50. </font>
Old 05-19-2005, 07:58 PM

depending on your image, the flop all-in isn't as bad as it looks.. it could look enough like a buy to make QQ call (although I doubt QQ would play back preflop), and clearly AK and AA are going to call. plus you get some equity for future bluff attempts.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:45 PM

This is almost always AA and he will call the all-in every time, so pushing is not bad at all. I would like the money to be a little deeper to feel good about the pf call, but I would still call it. 3 betting here would be a major mistake as you will have pot-commited yourself and will almost have to call his push, if you don't push yourself. JMO