Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 05-06-2005, 06:26 AM

Default Error in GSIH!

On page 126 in GSIH there is a math error. Miller claims that if you hold AA UTG at a tenhanded table your best result is if you get all-in and everyone calls you. This actually isn't true, your best result is if eight people call you, especially if the single folder is a blind. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Picking nits is fun.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:52 AM

Default Re: Error in GSIH!

[ QUOTE ]
On page 126 in GSIH there is a math error. Miller claims that if you hold AA UTG at a tenhanded table your best result is if you get all-in and everyone calls you. This actually isn't true, your best result is if eight people call you, especially if the single folder is a blind. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Picking nits is fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw Paul Phillips go thru the math on this one on RGP. I can't remember if 8 callers was the most profitable, or 9. But it was a lot, and the point Ed makes is valid.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw Paul Phillips go thru the math on this one on RGP. I can't remember if 8 callers was the most profitable, or 9. But it was a lot, and the point Ed makes is valid.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's 8, which is the only reason the math is fun. But yes, the main point is correct. Hence the nit picking part.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:00 AM

I wonder if this may have been an intentional "error" on Ed's part. For instance, I believe there's a spot in SSH where he said that he gave up a very tiny edge in favor of simplifying a chart.

Saying 8 (rather than all) might just confuse the reader more. His generalized comment about how aces favor many many callers is mostly to introduce a beginner to the idea of pot equity. Since (if I remember correctly) pot equity isn't formally covered, it helps set up newer players for ideas like why you raise not because you expect to win this exact time, but rather because you expect to win more than your share.

Saying all (rather than 8 or 9) helps reinforce a very important concept, while keeping it as easy to understand as possible.

Or maybe he just [censored] up, I dunno.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:15 PM

Actually the limit hands do cover pot equity.

I to think it's an intended error, though it's small in both ways. Your equity size is very much smaller with 9 callers instead of 8, and it probably won't even happen once in your no limit career that you're all-in with a decent stack preflop vs a full table.

It's a discussion point right up there with if AAKKds or AAJTds is a better starting hand in Omaha. You should scream with joy in both cases. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]