Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 04-20-2005, 01:37 PM

Default AA no good?

No reads, sorry guys

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (8 handed) converter

MP2 ($462)
CO ($408.65)
Button ($152.05)
SB ($388)
Hero ($396)
UTG ($352)
UTG+1 ($347.30)
MP1 ($343.60)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $4, MP1 calls $4, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $16</font>, UTG+1 calls $12, MP1 calls $12, SB folds.

Flop: ($52) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $32</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $64</font>, Hero calls $32.

Turn: ($180) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $263.6 (All-In)</font>, Hero ????

What to do? And how about my flop play?
Old 04-20-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Re: AA no good?

Preflop you really needed to raise it to $28 - $32. That would have made the playing the flop mush easier. It would be a pretty healthy raise for small PP to call. The $16 raise against 3 limpers isn't going to get them to go anywhere.

With how you played it. I think the MP1 has you on a missed AK with a flush or straight draw. I think he has an overpair smaller than yours. I think I call this but am not too happy with it.

-Gryph
Old 04-20-2005, 01:56 PM

no reads... man this is one sticky situation [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

i guess the question you must ask yourself is....

at this level, do people push this turn more often with a made bottom set or an over pair (QQ, KK)

very tough one to call though.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:57 PM

Flop play is fine. Call the raise and lead the turn. This is a little used but extremely powerful play, because it forces your opponent to define his hand. If he calls, then hes probably on a draw or has a smaller overpair he's suddenly not so sure about. If he comes back over the top you can pretty safely fold your hand. Call the raise. lead the turn.

The way you played it I think you're folding on the turn. Hero needs a good reason to believe MP1 is on a flush draw. Barring such a reason (and I think you're going to have trouble finding a compelling enough reason in most situations), throw your aces in the muck and hope for better luck next time.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:01 PM

With two limpers I do like the idea of making a little bit more to go preflop, but I dont know about 7-8BB. I think 5BB, maybe 5.5BB should be enough. More than that and you're not going to be able to get away from the pot when two underpairs call you, one of them set, and the pot is so big that you have to call away your stack. One of the tricks to playing AA and KK well is the ability to let go of them at least some of the time you're behind, and building huge pots makes that much more difficult.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:11 PM

But, the one thing with AA/KK is that they are HU hands and not multiway pot hands. So the fact that you are OOP w/ a lot of limps means that your raise needs to be in the ball park of 4xBB + (1xBB per limper) = 4xBB + 3*(1xBB) = 7BB = $28. This puts the raise at about 7%-10% of the limpers stacks which make it temping to call with small PP, but charges them the most possible. If I had position, then I would be more willing to do something like 5.5xBB - 6xBB. This is about the same raise that I would put in on a .5/1 table where your raise would be $7 with three limpers which doesn't sound unreasonable.

-Gryph
Old 04-20-2005, 02:14 PM

This looks like a really easy turn fold to me.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This looks like a really easy turn fold to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Can't you see the Villian playing 88-QQ like this? If I had made a bigger bet preflop I would feel better about laying this down. But, hey my biggest weakness is that I hate to be bullied.

-Gryph
Old 04-20-2005, 02:58 PM

Thanks for all the great advice. Honestly I were sure that I'd raised to $20 preflop until I saw the HH. Wft? As some other posters I think 7BB is a bit too much here. Yes AA is not a multipot hand but we do want customers right?

As to the actual result. I followed the exact same reasoning as egtrphon: I thought Villain would play it a bit slower if he had a set or a str8.

So I called, he shows 99 and MHIG
Old 04-20-2005, 03:36 PM

nice