Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2005, 10:21 AM

Default Top 2 on a one-suited flop

$3-$6 game last night. Table is fairly weak-tight from what I've observed, a dream game, really. I limp in late position behind two other limpers (one EP, one MP) with
K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. BB checks, and we see the flop:

K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB bets, EP limper raises, MP limper folds. 7 1/2 SB in the pot, and it's 2 to me. I don't have any specific reads on either player still in the hand, as I've only been at the table for 15 minutes or so.

Your play?
Old 03-02-2005, 10:36 AM

Default Re: Top 2 on a one-suited flop

I'd raise while it was still SB to see what happens...just called, the guy is probably drawing for a fourth heart. Capped, he's probably got the flush, but I'd call anyway to see the turn.

Either way, if the 3-bet slows them down you might get a free river shot at your boat
Old 03-02-2005, 10:40 AM

i'm inclined to say calling is your worst option.

there's probably nothing wrong with folding, as at least one of these shmucks has a heart.

but you don't know a lot about them, and you very well may have the best hand right now.

so i'm inclined to say raise this. if it's capped coming back to you and led into you on the turn, you can probably release. or you get c/r on the turn.

but i'm not sure. perhaps it's actually best to call here and see a non-heart turn, as you're not sure your raise is "charging" your opponents.

if the game is incredibly passive, i'd release. otherwise, i flip-flop between calling and raising and ultimately decide that, as i said before, i think calling is probably your worst option, and i raise and proceed with caution.

i'm relatively certain this situation has a proper answer that i'm whiffing on because i got 3 hours of sleep and i should be heading to class now.

ciao.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:42 AM

This is tricky i think im 3 betting and if capped im ditching on the turn if my boat doesnt hit. You can just randomly say someone has a flush on a 1 suit flop just because there was a bet and a raise this could easily be Mid pair for BB and TPTK for EP guy. Although based on your reads EP might be a set and you might be drawing to 2 kings. so this is really read dependant. But with no reads I'm three-betting and getting away on the turn if capped on the flop
Old 03-02-2005, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, at no point did I consider calling, because I still had the original bettor to hear from. If he three-bets and EP caps, I've just thrown away two bets for nothing.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:21 AM

I don't think calling is as bad of an option as you think. Actually it may be the best option.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think calling is as bad of an option as you think. Actually it may be the best option.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. If a non heart falls on the turn, do you raise if it's 1 bet to you?
Old 03-02-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Folding is the worst option by far.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:35 AM

I agree with chief I think calling is the best option. I want see what the turn action is before I let this hand go. If a non heart falls and it is one bet to you I would raise here and fold to a 3 bet if it was two cold to me might let it go right there. If your turn raise is just called and another non heart falls on the river I would probably call one bet or check it through.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with this. If a non heart falls on the turn, do you raise if it's 1 bet to you?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. I may reconsider if there's a 3-bet on the flop though.

edit...I'd likely still raise the turn though.