Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2005, 08:14 AM

Default Looking for a New Zeelander!

Anyone here from NZ? I'm very interested in how gambling winnings are taxed in NZ, and what the restrictions on just popping over and living there a few years are. (You can see where this is headed...)
Old 01-13-2005, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Looking for a New Zeelander!

I lived in New Zealand for 4 years. Here are a few comments, in no particular order:

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] NZ is a high tax country compared to the US. Lower than most places in EU.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] NZ has pretty high requirements for immigration. They have a 2 year visa that is pretty easy to get, if you already have a job there. I don't know how they are going to like the idea of someone playing poker for a living.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] NZ is a fun place to live.

[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] If you are planning to play on line, you better make sure you can get decent internet access. Telstra Saturn cable worked for me. They just might block poker. I have noticed someone from NZ playing at my table at Party, so it is possible. It might also be hard to fund/cashout.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] You can get good immigration info on their web site.