Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-26-2005, 02:42 AM

Default Yet another low-limit stud 8 hand...

Again, it worked out, but I was concerned. My thoughts were: was the call on fifth too loose, and on sixth I agonized over the call fearing a higher flush.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($1/$2), Ante $0.10, Bring-In $0.50 (converter)

Seat 1: $13.40
Seat 2: $31.90
Seat 3: $43.35
Seat 4: $28.25
Seat 5: $32.60
Hero: $21.50
Seat 7: $25.45
Seat 8: $19.80

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.80 SB)

Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks

5th Street - (1.90 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (4.90 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___raises

River - (10.90 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets

Total pot: (13.90 BB)

Results:
Total pot $27.80 | Rake $1

Seat 5: [Jd 5s 5d Td 5c Ad Qs] (HI: three of a kind, Fives)

Hero: [8h 7h 4h Qd Th Qh 6c] (HI: a flush, Queen high)

Seat 7: [3d Js 2h 8d 5h Ah 2c] (HI: a pair of Deuces; LO: 8,5,3,2,A)
Old 12-26-2005, 02:54 AM

Default Re: Yet another low-limit stud 8 hand...

Just one more thought. Should the sixth street call have been a raise with the flush? I think a flaw in my game has been being too pessimistic at times. Odds against a same-suit flush were extremely remote, but in my mind I feared it. Obviously he was check-raising with a nice lo, and I probably should have jammed it. I do think it was a bad call on fifth though in hindsight. Pot is small, looking at a paired doorcard (despite the other 5 being out there) and a three-lo. In a later hand I layed down a pair of queens on sixth with a four-flush and two pair won with no lo, but there were scary boards and the pot was small. I know full well stud 8 is all about the scoop, and why I called here I'm not sure. But feedback is appreciated as always.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:31 AM

3rd:With a 7,6,& 3 hearts out,I can't see calling here.Even if your cards were live,I believe a fold would be correct.

5th:No.With 4 hearts out,why go for 1/2 of this small pot?

River:Good.He didn't fill up.You risked 4 1/2 BB's to win 2 1/2.Was it worth it?

Note:I apoligize if I sounded sarcastic in my post,my friend.I'm just trying to emphasize that straining to win 1/2 pots can get you broke.Good luck. Ben
Old 12-26-2005, 01:40 PM

I would have limped to close the action if villain had not completed the bring-in, and that's probably already a pretty loose limp with the dead hearts and the 5/6 dead as well.

I think the pot is too small on 5th to keep chasing, especially because seat 7 might start jamming a low and you might get trapped for lots of bets.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:13 PM

calling all your money off is seldom good choice .. i agree with the other posters that drawing to a dead flush for likely half the pot in a small pot is never advisable, but given that you made the flush why not raise on 6? yes a higher flush is possible and the fives can't make you too comfortable but with so many hearts out you can't be so worried - and if you raise the fives will only reraise with a boat, and will pay you off on the river with trips, because although you've represented a flush, you may have only two pair.

the key to this game it putting pressure on your opponents. after putting pressure on them, hands become easier to play, as now they will be the ones scared and you will have a better idea of their true strength. i've saved my own hide so many times where I otherwise would have been jammed out of pots, by playing medium strong hands aggressively.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:14 PM

Third, fine. Fourth, fine. Fifth, a few hearts are out, and you're drawing to half of a tiny pot. I think I let this one go.

If you're not going to bet your flush, you shouldn't have drawn to it in the first place. I might have check-raised myself, but the chicken-call is just wimpy.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:18 AM

No apologies needed, note the response to my own post, in hindsight it was indeed a lousy call.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:23 AM

You're right Andy, the chicken-call was wimpy indeed. As I said in another post, I think that is one of the toughest flaws in my game at times, a negative mental attitude that prevents me from raising, or remembering value bets with a big two pair in stud hi that got run down by the rivered miracle hand. As much as I love stud, one of the worst things with the game is the position that punishes the player with the highest board having to act first. I sometimes still have to remind myself to never "check in the dark" as so many players do playing in B&M poker.