Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-20-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Re: When do I make a stand?

If I know he is stealing with junk than I don't mind the call up until the turn. This is where it's getting expensive and you still have Q high with a gutshot.

Can't remember which book it was (Harrington? or possibly Skalansky) but he talks about how a blind steal only needs to work 50% of the time preflop or on the flop to be profitable and the only defensive is to call the stealer (or leave the table). If you wait only for good hands you are losing money.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The flop call and turn raise screams "I'm sick of you man," and I think it's transparent

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon man - that's results-oriented garbage. I guarantee you if villian posted the hand from his persective against an opponent who he perceived to be weak and you didn't know hero's cards, it would not be so "transparent".
Old 12-20-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The flop call and turn raise screams "I'm sick of you man," and I think it's transparent

[/ QUOTE ] that's results-oriented. If villian posted the hand from his persective against an opponent who he perceived to be weak and you didn't know hero's cards, it would not be so transparent.

[/ QUOTE ]
Villian will see Hero's hand at showdown.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:21 PM

If he does this to you literally every time from the SB, you should consider 3-betting PF. Your queen may have high card showdown value. I don't mind calling with this sort of hand as long as you've played enough hands with villain to know he doesn't simply do this with the top 20 % of his hands.

On the flop, your high card may be good and you have a gutshot. This clearly calls for a raise. If you can't raise the flop, you need to fold. If he 3-bets you then it's probably time to fold if he bets out again on the turn. As played, you need to check behind on the river once your 4s hit. You now beat his high card hands but lose to just about everything else; there's no value here and you're never folding out anything you beat.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:24 PM

Find a hand with showdown value and get it there. Q-high isn't exactly it, and once he calls the turn, you're boned.

The fun thing about blind battles is that it can get maddingly frustrating, especially if you keep missing flops and/or he keeps outflopping you. Not good times.

The blind defense I do not mind -- you are about 50-50 against a random hand, and you are in position (which is very significant). In this spot I would defend with pretty much anything, especially if I think the SB is raising with anything.

-K