Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 10:16 AM

Default When do I make a stand?

This guy raises me EVERY time it gets folded around to him and bets the flop and turn every time also. What am I to do?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

River: (7 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 9 BB
Old 12-20-2005, 10:19 AM

Default Re: When do I make a stand?

I fold preflop to be honest, wait another time to bust him and. Do you know how often he will go to showdown? Makes it a lot easier to know if you can bet the flop he folds, you can c/r he folds.

I would be more inclined to play hands like 67os than Q4os.

I think you have a lot more chance to flop a draw and play aggressive hoping that you have fold equity. IF he is loose as a goose then maybe wait for better hands and only value bet them.

True
Old 12-20-2005, 10:30 AM

It's clear that he is probably stealing most times here but Q4o shouldn't be where you make your stand. I agree to wait for a better launching off point.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:12 AM

I see no problem defending with junk if you're sure that the other guy will raise with junk everytime.

You went with the ultra strong defense play. There's nothing wrong with it, but it may not be necessary.

I see no reason to bet the river. 1)He could cr you and you'd feel like you have to call, though you shouldn't 2) You want to see what he has 3)your turn raise represents a 9 or straight and he could easily have a 5 or 6.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I see no problem defending with junk if you're sure that the other guy will raise with junk everytime.

You went with the ultra strong defense play. There's nothing wrong with it, but it may not be necessary.

I see no reason to bet the river. 1)He could cr you and you'd feel like you have to call, though you shouldn't 2) You want to see what he has 3)your turn raise represents a 9 or straight and he could easily have a 5 or 6.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really agree with this, I thought your gonna get called by a lot of better hands a lot of the time and most of the time your opponent would have folded on the turn, or is going to fold the river when you beat them. I wouldn't have played this pf but I am semi-tight.

True
Old 12-20-2005, 11:48 AM

What are you to do?

You are to realize that this guy has gotten to you. So much so that you're playing an abysmal hand. I've seen the big dogs playing 300/600 heads up on UB fold this face up.

Then you go on to play in such an odd way.

The flop call and turn raise screams "I'm sick of you man," and I think it's transparent - which is why you should wait for a better spot to run this line. Take your stand when it looks like you're just taking a stand, only have a hand (hopefully one that wins and also is marginal enough to back him off).
Old 12-20-2005, 01:03 PM

dont fold pf, youre getting 6-1 w/ implied odds

if this guy is betting every turn, raise the flop instead of the turn. he folds the same hands to a turn raise that he folds to your flop raise/turn follow up, but the latter is cheaper
Old 12-20-2005, 01:41 PM

even if you dont fold the flop, I would let it go on the turn because there is no reason to go to war with this hand and this guy will probably call down with any piece of the board and maybe even ace high.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:59 PM

I have to say this is a rockin hand post--good elements! I think because I'm caffeinated though. If this guy has been doing this a lot, this is probably not the best hand with which to take a stand. A flop raise might be worth a free river card. I would rather just call to the river and showdown, but my preference is to wait for a better hand. Another (better?) option with this hand is to 3-bet pre-flop and then bet the flop. There you will have some good fold equity post-flop. To continue my rambling, it's probably best to show this guy a good hand, and then you will be able to stand up to him in the future better.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This guy raises me EVERY time it gets folded around to him and bets the flop and turn every time also. What am I to do?
Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Call him down with your good hands and see what he has.

And fold this hand preflop or at least on the turn.