Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-13-2005, 09:48 PM

Default Re: to live or not to live (the lesser of two evils)--kind of long

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with astro et al. it is true that life is crappy at that end, but it's life. faced with the choice between miserable life and the void, I'd go with miserable life.

but that's just me. I think it depends on the person's wishes. in this specific case it appears that dude wants to live.

blarg--I never considered the selfishness argument before. that's an interesting point. I always felt bad for not caring more when someone dies. I never considered that anyone else had anything but sympathy for the dying.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a very real point and can be very central to what's really going on.

Not that it's a pleasant aspect of it to have to think about at all. But it's there inescapably.

These issues are a lot more subtle than many people give them credit for. That's one reason why a living will is really the way to go. When people decide who lives and who dies, it's not true at all that they're doing it simply in reference to the person dying; they're also interjecting themselves into the equation and often the predominate if not entirely controlling influence. Which, especially since they're not the ones suffering the pain, the diminished capacities, or the humiliating indignities themselves, can be incredibly unfair to who becomes the almost glossed over subject of the matter -- the guy actually doing the dying and the suffering or fully or partly vegetative state that leads up to it.

I really think the oldsters should be saved from the agendas, beliefs, and guilt trips of their youngers and not subject to people doing medically very unnatural things for them "for their own good" and imprisoning them in someone else's choices.