Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Re: (LC) $109 ITM - what would you need to call here?

After reading I have questioned whether it is right to call with AK or JJ. This is because if you fold, you'll have 2600/7400 and I think you'll win 1/4 of the time (maybe you don't agree with that, i'm just ballparking). So let's say you call with JJ and have ~60% equity in the pot because they had Ax and 55 or something. This means that you win the tourney 60% of the time, receiving $500. The other 40% you're out because you are the short stack and get $200. This gives you ~$380 expected value by calling if I calculated it correctly. If you fold, you get $300 3/4ths of the time and $500 1/4th of the time. This gives you $350 of expected value by folding.

If you take into account that sometimes one of them has 2 overs to your JJ, and occasionally they have QQ+, I think it's pretty close. AK is a definite fold because it is only 35% against our example Ax and 66 and has an expected value of around $300. I would probably call with JJ because gambling is fun and fold AK (even though I would hate folding it). If anyone finds anything wrong in my calculations, feel free to tear them apart.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:53 PM

I actually thought you might've been in this SNG, I seem to see you all over the place and in every other table. But strangely you weren't!
Old 12-07-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Without reading the responses I would call with AK, JJ+. I would call with AK because people seem to overvalue Ax with 9BBs in this situation. I think the button's range is KT+, Ax, 22+. The SBs calling range (if he's a typical 109 player) is probably KQ, Ax, 44+.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post. Count me in.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After reading I have questioned whether it is right to call with AK or JJ. This is because if you fold, you'll have 2600/7400 and I think you'll win 1/4 of the time (maybe you don't agree with that, i'm just ballparking). So let's say you call with JJ and have ~60% equity in the pot because they had Ax and 55 or something. This means that you win the tourney 60% of the time, receiving $500. The other 40% you're out because you are the short stack and get $200. This gives you ~$380 expected value by calling if I calculated it correctly. If you fold, you get $300 3/4ths of the time and $500 1/4th of the time. This gives you $350 of expected value by folding.

If you take into account that sometimes one of them has 2 overs to your JJ, and occasionally they have QQ+, I think it's pretty close. AK is a definite fold because it is only 35% against our example Ax and 66 and has an expected value of around $300. I would probably call with JJ because gambling is fun and fold AK (even though I would hate folding it). If anyone finds anything wrong in my calculations, feel free to tear them apart.

[/ QUOTE ]

Better post. Count me out.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:56 PM

QQ + for me

Straight Flushes

SAM

counting the minutes till I'm told to change my avatar
Old 12-07-2005, 04:00 PM

If I stopped and took some time to think about it, I'd probably call with JJ+, though it looks like JJ might be a mistake against a lot of players here.

Very helpful post though because this is a situation where it would be easy to make a big mistake.