Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 12-06-2005, 08:34 PM

Default Re: Wireless Poker Playing: Does it Work Well?

[ QUOTE ]
Don't most online poker sites use SSL? Serious question as I've never bothered to actually sniff the connection. If so, why do you consider wifi more of a security risk than someone logging on at home?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it is easier to gain access to your PC from a WiFi connection than it is from a LAN connection.

Think of it this way. A typical home network is comprised of a broadband router with a built in firewall that connects to a DSL or cable modem. Then that router connects to the home LAN. Once hacker is on your network aka your LAN, it is much easier to gain access to computing resources. But it is hard for a hacker to get on a LAN unless they break into your house.

But with WiFi the average technically inclided 14 year old can be on your WiFi network in under one hour. That is why it is important to use as many security measures as you have available to you, both from a WiFi point of view and from the PC(s) on the network point of view.

SSL is going to do nothing to stop a key logger and screen shot program for seeing a UID or grabbing the password.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does it really even matter? I mean, isn't it the difference between 54mbps and 11mbps or something like that? Even 11mbps is faster than your internet connection, so will there be a difference for surfing the net and playing poker? I always just assumed that the only time you'd notice a difference would be when transfering files between computers wirelessly. Then again, I haven't really given it a lot of thought. Comments welcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yes and no. If you use WiFi a fair amount you will notice the differnece between a strong signal and a weak signal.

Now keep in mind that you are not likely to get a optimal connection to the AP (wireless access point) unless you are in the same room with it. So which would you rather have, a weak 11b signal that is now running at less than a 1Mbps or a weak 11g single that is much fater than your Internet connection.

Also it is my experience that when you have a weak signal, you tend to drop packets and have a higher latency, neither of which is good for a online poker game. Can you say lag and not the type of player. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:52 PM

Agreed. But thats a host based security issue. Not wifi related. I thought you were speaking in regards to wifi only.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed. But thats a host based security issue. Not wifi related. I thought you were speaking in regards to wifi only.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must work in the industry... It is not a specfic problem with WiFi, but without the WiFi there would a lot small security issue with a host. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2005, 01:39 AM

Hehe. Yeah. I do.

Sadly I don't have much experience with wireless which is why I asked my original question. I know the encryption sucks. I know SSID's are essentially broadcasted. But beyond that my knowledge of wireless security is pretty bad. So thanks for taking the time to answer.