Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Re: standard small overpair?

[ QUOTE ]
but id like to talk about the pf raise. i dont think this is standard. and im not sure i like it. im not one of the hardnose, never raise TT in level 1 guys, but I think raising it out of the BB here is building a big pot out of position with a difficult hand. I think the hand is a lot more "manageable" if you don't raise pf.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's just in this pot with the SB, so he has position. I think a pre-flop raise in this spot is pretty standard.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but id like to talk about the pf raise. i dont think this is standard. and im not sure i like it. im not one of the hardnose, never raise TT in level 1 guys, but I think raising it out of the BB here is building a big pot out of position with a difficult hand. I think the hand is a lot more "manageable" if you don't raise pf.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's just in this pot with the SB, so he has position. I think a pre-flop raise in this spot is pretty standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, see edited post above. im a donk.

carry on!
Old 12-06-2005, 02:32 PM

I like the preflop raise just because a continuation bet after the raise usually leads to your opponent folding. I think he called you with middle pair here or some garbage honestly... i mean if u held an 8 or 9 and someone raised preflop... he probably put u on AJ and trying to take down the pot after you missed.

I think your 10's are ahead and i would continue to bet untill the river... the only hand you can get in trouble with i believe would be a loose post flop call with KQ or a big pair(unlucky) that didnt want to push preflop into BB so he could try and trap you. I'd say 95% of the time.. u have the best hand after the flop and 70% of the time by the river with those cards out there.(runner-runner flush/straight/K)

As far as how to bet this.. i would bet the flop.. maybe even over-bet the flop so if he thinks its a steal and moves in with his 8 or 9... IF he folds his 8 or 9... big deal.. u took down the pot with a decent hand. I like to play pretty tight-aggressive the first 3 rounds. Thats why i would overbet the flop, and pick more comfortable spots later on.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
my plan was to put in exactly one bet on the river. if he checks i'll try to squeeze some value out of 9x or 8x.

[/ QUOTE ]

this would be a mistake. we didn't do any defining on the turn. with his PF call, there are technically hands that beat us (possibly looking to c-raise the turn, who knows). checking behind on most ANY river is the proper thing to do, having not continued the lead on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't understand this post.

it's absolutely true that i didn't do any defining on the turn, which is exactly what i want. i've obscured my hand so it looks like AJ or total air, which is why 55 or 78 will call a bet on the river.

[ QUOTE ]
with his PF call, there are technically hands that beat us (possibly looking to c-raise the turn, who knows).

[/ QUOTE ]

what? you think there a lot of hands that miss their turn c/r and then try for a river c/r? that's pretty rare.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what? you think there a lot of hands that miss their turn c/r and then try for a river c/r? that's pretty rare.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll give you that one. close to never. trying to bolster my arguement for for leading the turn a little too hard i guess.

so just to summarize, by checking the turn you're looking to...

a) get him to lead the river for you, or
b) get him to check-call

how often do these happen?

compare to how often these very hands call your turn lead?

your arguement is one of 'value'. do you see your line getting more value than mine? if so, is it enough so that you can AFFORD TO GIVE THE FREE RIVER CARD?

you have to be careful what you wish for.

how eagar are you to call his lead, or bet behind when an Ace, Q, J, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, or now another spade not mentioned?
calling...sure, reluctantly prehaps, depending on exactly what card it is. leading behind? not advised.

this line is perfect had your hand been A8 here (river call a little suspect, but you get the point.

we check behind the turn, looking for a cheap showdown when we can no longer hold that our hand is MOST LIKELY ahead. IF we believe that our hand IS most likely a head, we continue to bet for value, charge for draws. i don't think that either of us are debating the value of your hand at the turn. you must lead again.