Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-03-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Squirrels that live on my fire escape lost their house

[ QUOTE ]

It'd suck to have an olive barrel full of squirrel poop smack you in the skull from 40' up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-03-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about replacing the barrel with something else or get a new one?

The squirrels in my back yard taunt my dog constantly. I find it amusing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Squirrels love to tease predators (dogs, cats, whatever) It's always interested me. Apparently this tactic has some survival value, otherwise, I would think that they would just hide or run away., like most prey animals.

I once had a cat that made the mistake of chasing a squirrel up a tree. This was a very large elm tree, 70 or 80 feet tall. The squirrel led the cat into the very top of the tree, then ran back down to the ground, and up another tree. It took the squirrel about 30 seconds to get out of the tree. It took the cat at least 5 minutes. The squirrel apparently was aware that cats are a lot better at going up than down, whereas squirrels can climb down as quickly as they do up, and took advantage of that.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How about replacing the barrel with something else or get a new one?

The squirrels in my back yard taunt my dog constantly. I find it amusing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Squirrels love to tease predators (dogs, cats, whatever) It's always interested me. Apparently this tactic has some survival value, otherwise, I would think that they would just hide or run away., like most prey animals.

I once had a cat that made the mistake of chasing a squirrel up a tree. This was a very large elm tree, 70 or 80 feet tall. The squirrel led the cat into the very top of the tree, then ran back down to the ground, and up another tree. It took the squirrel about 30 seconds to get out of the tree. It took the cat at least 5 minutes. The squirrel apparently was aware that cats are a lot better at going up than down, whereas squirrels can climb down as quickly as they do up, and took advantage of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Birds are big fans of taunting cats as well. It is amazing how close they will swoop down to tease them.

craig