Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 10-03-2005, 06:33 PM

Default 10+1 proper push/call?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t800)
MP3 (t800)
CO (t800)
Button (t800)
SB (t800)
BB (t800)
Hero (t800)
UTG+1 (t800)
UTG+2 (t800)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t60</font>, UTG+1 calls t60, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t60, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB calls t50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t252.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t275</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls t275, SB calls [t750] , Hero calls [t465] t275, MP1 calls [t465] t275.

Turn: (t802.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

River: (t802.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: t802.50

comments

Melch
Old 10-03-2005, 06:44 PM

Default Re: 10+1 proper push/call?

Well, something isn't right about the way you have the hand formatted. There's no stated raise on the flop, and the end pot is too small.

But at the 11s, you should definitely be getting all in on this flop. You'll see worse aces, straight and flush draws, even underpairs. If someone has a set, that just sucks. You do have backdoor draws though.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:55 PM

This is a very tough spot. Almost always when you see this kind of action, you're up against two pair or a set.

This being the 10s, you can't rule out A4, A3, however they are unlikely. 44, 33 are also possible here.

Because you've invested so much and are getting good odds to call, and possibly great odds if the MP1 comes along, I'd call and hope a K comes to suck out over a two pair combination or hit a runner runner flush to beat a set. Slim chances I know, but at the 10s you could also be up against AQ and a flush draw, and actually be ahead.

Other's thoughts?
Old 10-03-2005, 07:54 PM

ITs hard because your out of position, with out any reads, in a multi way pot you want to make a proper bet that allows your oponent to make a mistake. When they just call its hard to tell where your at, and checking on the river could just possible give a free card. With the amount invested and the way people are at the 10's you will be a heard more times then enough to make this profitable. Ive seens people play call with underpairs.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:23 PM

I do not like the raise preflop, I think 4X BB is too weak from UTG in the 11's. Obviously you would like some action, but i would rather not be in a 4 way pot. I would raise it up at least to 80, probably 100ish. This may be too much, but it makes things easier postflop. You will generally be heads up or three way at worst. This makes decisions much more clear cut. Early on I like to make larger raises with AK to not be in riskier multiway pots. Besides that it was well played, this is a hand you are obviously committed to and must get all your money in.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do not like the raise preflop, I think 4X BB is too weak from UTG in the 11's. Obviously you would like some action, but i would rather not be in a 4 way pot. I would raise it up at least to 80, probably 100ish. This may be too much, but it makes things easier postflop. You will generally be heads up or three way at worst. This makes decisions much more clear cut. Early on I like to make larger raises with AK to not be in riskier multiway pots. Besides that it was well played, this is a hand you are obviously committed to and must get all your money in.

[/ QUOTE ]

While your pf raise line isn't horrible IMO, are you going to be able to get away from your hand if you miss the flop? What is your line on a 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] flop from OOP? Check fold?

There is nothing wrong with limping this PF UTG on level 1 or taking the line the OP took.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a very tough spot. Almost always when you see this kind of action, you're up against two pair or a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is true at all at the $11s, on a flop with an A and 2 hearts. As others have stated, you'll find weaker aces, flush draws, straight draws, and even the occasional player that just can't bring himself to fold KK. It's true that you'll find 2 pair or better occasionally, but there are plenty of other scenarios you'll find.

Since I can't quite figure out exactly how the action on the hand went (I'll assume SB checkraised all in), by the time you have to call the CR you're getting very good odds. You'll be good enough to make that call, and i like your postflop line (though I may not bet quite as much on the flop, it's fine).

Personally I don't raise preflop, because I'm not looking to play a big pot with AK out of position on the first hand of the tournament.

-SonnyJay