Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 09-18-2005, 09:21 PM

Default 1/2 NL Live - Preflop madness

Playing a local 1/2 NL game. 100min, 200 max

UTG is drunk, not a completely maniac every hand but he has his spurts. He has raised many hands to 20, 40-50 preflop. If he has a piece of the board he will overbet the pot on the flop. I've seen him raise to 20 UTG with A7s. ANother hand, UTG raises to 5, after 7 cold-callers he raises to 50 on the button with 88. This is just my understanding of the player, he is hard to read.

MP1 is a gambler. He is tired and on tilt and just likes to gamble.

UTG raises to 40 preflop, folds to MP1 who calls, I am next to act with JJ.

How to play this hand? I have about $180 in front of me, both players who are involved have me covered.

I am very new to NL. The NL game just opened up in my city and only have about 20 hours of 1/2NL experience in Vegas.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Re: 1/2 NL Live - Preflop madness

Drunk guy could have anything and gambler knows this. He's likely to be calling with a weaker than normal hand. I push and hope the drunk calls and the other guy goes away.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:20 PM

absolutely, you want to isolate, both those guys know that both those guys know that they're loose.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG raises to 40 preflop, folds to MP1 who calls, I am next to act with JJ.

How to play this hand? I have about $180 in front of me, both players who are involved have me covered.

[/ QUOTE ]

I push it in, and expect to lose in one of the following ways:

1) Guy on the button pees himself with excitement and pushes over the top with AA

2) Drunk happened to have AA-QQ this time

3) Drunk catches ace on the flop, A7 g00t.

I think that MP1 would have isolated with the only hands that have you beat -- AA, KK, QQ -- so you're only worrying about the drunk and the people behind you. I'll push and take the odds that no one behind you has AA-QQ, and gamble with the drunk.

If he has the goods this time, I'll rebuy and possibly curse my good fortune to be seated with such a player.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:52 PM

Ok Thanks for the input. After thinking about it longer, I also agree that pushing is the best option to exploit my edge especially once MP1 has entered the pot with a probable weak hand.

Anyway, during the hand, I just cold-called the raise, and we take the flop 3 handed. I wanted to see the flop and action before deciding to commit the rest of my chips.

Flop came K89 with two spades. UTG goes all-in, MP1 thinks for a while then folds muttering something about "damn overcard". I folded.

I think I really misplayed this hand. I wasn't even that certain he has a King on the flop since his range of hands is so wide. In the heat of the moment I made the worse decision preflop I think.

How would you react to the all-in flop, given the way I played it preflop?

Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:20 AM

pooooosh