Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 09-09-2005, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Sports Noobs against Pros - spawned from tdarko\'s tennis thread

Poker is not a sport. I can't even believe that people debate this. ESPN also has the Spelling Bee. Is that a sport? Neither is chess, for that matter.

Regardless, when I initially brought this question up, I was curious which sport the amateur had the LEAST likely chance. Yes, that may be the difference between 1/10000 and 1/10000000. I think it's a much more interesting question when posed that way.

Oddly enough, the one person who said table tennis (hopefully jokingly), gave my answer to the opposite question.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker is not a sport. I can't even believe that people debate this. ESPN also has the Spelling Bee. Is that a sport? Neither is chess, for that matter.

Regardless, when I initially brought this question up, I was curious which sport the amateur had the LEAST likely chance. Yes, that may be the difference between 1/10000 and 1/10000000. I think it's a much more interesting question when posed that way.

Oddly enough, the one person who said table tennis (hopefully jokingly), gave my answer to the opposite question.

[/ QUOTE ]

FIrstly, I disagree with your defination of sport, but thats neither here nor there.

I also disagree with your assesment of table tennis as the hardest sport for a non player (if I understand the question correctly) to compete against a pro in. I think golf has to be the hardest, because for someone without practice to go hit a ball, well, they will clearly be taking a 12 every hole... I think that with table tennis, they at least have a chance to hit the ball on the other side of the table.

Baseball, also very hard, went to the batting cages hitting what was apparently 75mph toss, and hit probably one ball that would be fair out of 15, and it was a soft grounder to short (which I would not have beaten out)

If you insist on only including athletic events as sports, then thats a bit tough, they are pros for a reason.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:50 AM

Not my definition: Sport. To call poker or chess a sport, is absurd. To be a sport, Stephen Hawking cannot play.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:41 AM

For absolute least likely chance, I would say golf and boxing are pretty close. There's a (very) small chance of lucking out in the other ones.