Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 08-24-2005, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Paul Kammen\'s book

Yeah, I'm really eager for that too.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:58 PM

Andy, awesome post. Can I buy you a beer again soon?
Old 08-25-2005, 12:42 AM

Why sure. Perhaps a Guinness this time. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'm about 85% sure I'll be heading east for Christmas. It will probably be at my sister's place in CT, in which case I would probably spend a day or three at Foxwoods, playing somewhere between $1-3 and $75/150, possibly both. Hey, that would be a good opportunity to play in an over-ante spread-limit game for this alleged book.

If it's not at Debbie's, it'll be at my parents', in which case I'll have even more incentive to head out and gamble, and they're near AC. I liked the Trop and the Borgata (especially the waitresses at the Borgata). Again, it might be $1-5 stud or $80/160 HE, depending on how things go between now and then.

In any case, I'll be bringing the laptop along, and hopefully get serious about writing if I haven't before then. Right now, I'm under a certain amount of pressure to work overtime, both from my employer and my creditors, so it's kind of on the back burner.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:56 AM

jesus...are there any good stud books out there besides Zee's? What about Chip Reese's section in Super System..that should be worth a mention here by someone..
Old 08-25-2005, 06:27 AM

Almost everyone here thinks CR's section in SS1 is excellent
Old 08-25-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why sure. Perhaps a Guinness this time. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'm about 85% sure I'll be heading east for Christmas. It will probably be at my sister's place in CT, in which case I would probably spend a day or three at Foxwoods, playing somewhere between $1-3 and $75/150, possibly both. Hey, that would be a good opportunity to play in an over-ante spread-limit game for this alleged book.

If it's not at Debbie's, it'll be at my parents', in which case I'll have even more incentive to head out and gamble, and they're near AC. I liked the Trop and the Borgata (especially the waitresses at the Borgata). Again, it might be $1-5 stud or $80/160 HE, depending on how things go between now and then.

In any case, I'll be bringing the laptop along, and hopefully get serious about writing if I haven't before then. Right now, I'm under a certain amount of pressure to work overtime, both from my employer and my creditors, so it's kind of on the back burner.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love to play a little drunk 1-5 spread limit with the infamous (more than famous) AndyB in AC
Old 08-25-2005, 02:55 PM

I looked at my numbers for the year just recently. I'd be up a lot more if I never played live [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

My being up for the year has a lot to do with my discovering www.bonuswhores.com. Absolute poker has basically unlimited bonuses that pay $10/100 raked hands. I question whether they even make money in their average 2-4 HE game, since they pay out .90 for each raked hand and they have to reach $20 to rake a whole dollar. They lose money on all the pots from $5-19 dollars. So my being up for the year really just means I can beat an essentially rake free online 2-4 HE game.

I've blown about half of those winnings for the year drinking and gambling live at Canterbury.

[ QUOTE ]
You're up for the year, and I'm not, so I can't argue with you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-25-2005, 08:00 PM

Drinking and gambling at Canterbury may not be +EV, but it sure is fun.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:02 PM

Reese's section of S/S is excellent, way too good to be mentioned in this thread.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:56 AM

Hi there,

Well, a few comments on Kammen's book, and seing how as I'm the author I thought I'd post a few [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]) These quotes are from Andy's posts...

Does anyone, and I mean anyone, play this tight? In good low-limit games, I’m around 25%, and in tough games, I’m probably around 18%. Seems to me that anyone playing 10% of his hands is going to go like Broomcorn’s uncle.

Yes, that is slightly tight, especially for Canterbury's High-ante games, but for a low ante structure game or spread-limit game with no ante, it's not overly tight.

Canterbury’s $2/4 game has a $.50 ante and $1 bring-in, and that is the model that Kammen uses for his discussion. I think that Canterbury’s $3/6 game, with the same ante and bring-in, would have been a better model.

Maybe, unfortunately this game never goes off. $4/8 does on Tuesdays, but for stud 2/4 is about it.

I wonder what he means by “a few.” I don’t know how many times I’ve been rolled-up, but it’s at least 100, which is more than a few. I wonder just how much this guy has actually played.

More than a few, but it's very rare. I play about 10 hours per week on PokerStars and Canterbury. Last time I was rolled up was Sunday night in a Satellite, unfortunately it was with rolled up 9s and my opponent had rolled up queens. Bummer.

Kammen says that your default play should be to slow-play big full houses or better on fifth. I think that this is a mistake in most low-limit games.

If the game is loose, certainly play it hard, but I'd rather play it loose-passive and call and hope players hit the flush or straight to extract more money from them.