Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 08-19-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Rebuy Strategy

I know that playing in a MTT that supports rebuys and addons requires a much more aggressive style of play, but I have a few questions about how much to spend on rebuys and addons. Though I am by no means an expert MTT player I feel that I have an advantage on the vast majority of the field on any given day. Now for the questions. If you are doing poorly and it would take at least a rebuy and addon to get you up to an average stack is it worth it? This is considering the fact that the payout structure is fairly steep and barely finishing ITM would only yield a very slim profit. Only top 30 (field is generally around 1000) would pay a significant sum. Do you guys usually only rebuy and addon when you are doing average or better? Thanks in advance for the responses.

-Jack
Old 08-19-2005, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Rebuy Strategy

Rebuy right away to 3k and play aggressively, rinse and repeat and addon.

there was a thread awhile about the EV of taking the addon and rebuys etc. you should be able to find it within the last 2 days on here
Old 08-19-2005, 04:46 PM

I love rebuy tournaments. How much you should spend depends on your bankroll and the prize pool. For the 25k guaranteed on Stars, I will spend up to 12x the buy-in without question. I've made a good chunk of my bankroll from cashes in that tournament, so even the times where I drain $120 and miss the money, I'm still showing a big profit in the long run. I would say my average in that tournament is around 6x the buy-in.

The people who chip up are the ones who aren't worried about rebuying. My minimum goal is to triple up and once I get to that point, I slow down and play solid poker, but before then I am playing the slots. I will call multi-way all-ins with pretty much any cards. I also make some ridiculous pushes near the beginning. There's nothing like the entire table seeing you push in with J2 to get them to call your all-ins when you have AA or KK. The beginning of tournaments is the best time to try these moves because people are more willing to call all-ins with weaker cards. Once they've made a healthy stack, the good players are going aren't getting invloved unless they have big cards.

If I still haven't made a stack by the end of the hour, I make sure to push all-in with any hand during the last two or three minutes of play. Even an extra 3k makes a big difference when normal play begins on the second hour and I'm willing to shell out money to get it.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:58 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. How likely do you think it is to get a caller if you push all in from early position with a monster hand early on in the tournament? In my most recent rebuy I had pocket kings first hand but went for the more traditional 4 X BB raise. Will people often call an all in this early with much weaker hands? I know some people obviously will with the option or rebuying if they lose but I am wondering if pushing with a monster early on is +EV.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:07 AM

It hard to tell.
Since it is real early in the tournament u don't know how maniac the players will be. I think I would go all in though. I'm pretty sure someone woulda called you.