Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

View Poll Results: Is Atlantic City Beatable?
Yes 1 11.11%
No 7 77.78%
Not Certain 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Wreckless or justfied move?

Thanks for all the quality responses guys. As I said I was a bit hesitant but I decided I had to keep moving and this was an ideal situation to take down the 45,000 in blinds. The only thing I regret is that I ran into a better hand.

Thanks again,
Jack
Old 07-18-2005, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, folded around to you in the SB, you have an effective M of around 2, you push.

To me in the BB, you would do that with any 2, I call with almost any 2, 9 or higher. Tight image or no.

The only thing that would give me pause would be if you had folded your SB before in that situation, then I might give you credit for a reasonable hand, and fold a hand such as you described "(K10,Ace rag, etc)"

A better move would be a stop n' go, with a slight delay before you push any non-A flop. (to make it look like you hadn't already decided to push any non-A flop) At least, you've maximized your FE.

Assuming A9 lets you see a flop...

I'd probably fold, wait 2 hands and then push any 2, a) you will have reinforced your "tight" table image recently enough that they might remember b) you won't be challenging the BB of a stack that knocks you out.

FWIW

Regards

Gar

[/ QUOTE ]

The logic escapes me. You would push with any 2. Since you would push with any 2, the BB would have a looser calling range. Therefore, you should fold your king. Huh?

As for waiting until you are in the CO to push -- I find it illogical to assume that a push from the CO with a mediocre hand would be more successful than a push from the SB with a mediocre hand.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:01 PM

Please don't take anything I say as gospel. I'll be the 1st to admit I'm nowhere near world class at poker.

I think the BB will be more inclined to "defend" his BB, and a significant percent of the time, his defense will knock me out.

If I fold now, my FE for future hands will increase, based on their perception of my 'tightness' level

If I wait until the BB is out of the blinds, I will reduce his propensity to "defend" to close to, if not, zero.

I think I'll be able to push and successfully steal the blinds twice in the next orbit, with nothing, if I have to.

I know that the BB calling range is large now, but against the "any 2, 9 or higher" range, K8o is only 60-40 ish, or worse. Call me Alice, but I'll take my chances later.

Remembering always that this is Gar, the Pike talking, who may not know his anus from a cloaca, but who believes in playing the player...

Always willing to learn, though, so if you have any insights as to why I'm wrong...

Regards

Gar
Old 07-19-2005, 04:11 PM

Sorry I have to say it's a fold, and I'll tell you why because I've been in the same situation, and everyone with an ace/8 or above calls to foil your steal attempt, especially if they have more chips. I was in a smilar situation with king/queen suited. And the big blind calls me with ace/9 offsuit.....no one pairs and I'm out. Bottom line.....I love the reverse when i have a pocket pair or a great ace and the poor schmuck thinks it's another blatant steal attempt and I take all his chips. LONG STORY SHORT...after all the hard work to get there, wait for a better spot. There will be better spots than king 8 offsuit to do the same.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:16 PM

Its unrealistic for you to set your sites on the top 3 spots, you should focus on getting more chips.

With 5BB left I'm pushing any two.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:51 PM

I'm leaning on moving in here as well. How is your stack in comaprison to most of the other player left in the tourney? If you are on the short side its a move in. If you are on the big side and he has obviously more than you i muck. But it sounds like you are on the shorter sider rather than the bigger side is this correct? If so i move in.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:13 PM

I have slightly less chips than the average person. I certainly could have played it safe and waited for another spot but I decided to try to pick up some blinds then.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:24 PM

If you're going to commit all your chips on this one hand, I'm looking to get as much out of it for the least amount of initial risk. I'm min-raising PF. If called, I'm pushing any flop. You still get the chips in the middle with a chance to push BB out of the pot if he misses, and you'll have gained 30k more in chips

I don't think you have to be so eager to push PF here... you still have a little room to work

edit: obviously, I didn't vote as I didn't necessarily care for either of those choices [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2005, 11:58 PM

hey skoal I saw you briefly at that Sunday weekly on Pokerstars. Thanks for the advice.