Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 02:07 AM

Default Couple hands I played really weak -Party 1/2

Here are a couple hands I played pretty passive. I think I need to someone to yell at me so I stop doing this. I just see monsters everywhere. None of the villians in these did anything crazy that would make me think Im way ahead.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB

When it was capped I thought i was probally against a bigger pair but since my Jacks were still an overpair I just played them weak and called it down. Should I have raised somewhere in there to find out where I am? And if you got 3-bet would you lay it down?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, UTG+2 calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (17.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, CO folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (10.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

River: (13.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15.25 BB

Pot got capped again so I still think Im up against AK or AA, KK. This one really looks like I should be raising some point during this hand but I didnt want to put in alot of money thinking Im behind.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

This one I planned on re-raising the turn if a non-spade card came. But it did so instead I called it down again. River makes my hand even worse but for one bet I wanted to see.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:15 AM

Default Re: Couple hands I played really weak -Party 1/2

1 raise the flop

2 raise the turn

3 raise preflop. i like postflop
Old 06-10-2005, 02:16 AM

Why raise the turn in Hand 2?

i.e. putting his range at AA-JJ, AK (chance of this diminishes as he keeps betting), I don't see a reason to raise.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:22 AM

queens up is fairly invulnerable (except to overcards but you aren't worrid about undercard kickers) and you get more value than a flop raise (assuming a turn bet comes, which seems right), flop raise doesn't protect hand and can string you out on the turn, plus you can adjust accordingly if an overcard turns and their is action or if you braise turn and get 3-bet.

i think you need to put in a postflop raise somewhere, I think QQ is good a lot here but maybe cappers are less predicatble at this limit (i dunno)
Old 06-10-2005, 02:25 AM

A turn raise doesn't protect much either, given our (relative) position. With the donk stuck in the middle, and given that we're not in great shape against Villain's range, I'd rather call.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:25 AM

Hand 1: I am betting this flop. If raised call down.

Hand 2: With position I am raising the flop.

Hand 3: I 3-bet the flop. Charge the draws. If you wait until the turn...I still consider raising the flush card. Any single [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] will call and straight draws will be scared you have the flush.

YOUR HAND STRENGTH IS RELATIVE TO THE SIZE OF THE POT. WHEN THE POT IS BIG, GET IN THERE AND FIGHT FOR IT!
Old 06-10-2005, 02:56 AM

Where is the bet/raise button anyway? I think you could have clicked it at any point postflop during any of these hands.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:56 AM

Thanks for the responses so far. Thats pretty much what I looking to hear about these hands.

In hand #1 when the BB capped and then checked I really thought that he was going to check-raise. I still liked my over pair but was unsure. Once he folded I just went into call mode. I didnt want to get raised on the turn only to get 3 bet.

Hand #2. I didnt think a flop raise would do much. I could have raised to try to get the middle man out but I thought the only hand I was ahead of from UTG+1 was AK and he wouldnt pay me off. So if utg+2 hangs in there it would make up for not raising.

Hand #3 I should raise this pre flop just because Im first in right. I would rather play this multi-way and the table had a few people seeing the flop everytime so I didnt think it would get folded to the blinds.
On the turn i thought about raising the flush card if it came but i wussed out and the river was not kind either so had to just call again.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:00 AM

You can play Hand 1 a couple of ways. Once the BB folds, I really don't have a problem just calling down. He's shown so much strength that I don't think a raise accomplishes anything useful, unless you can fold to a 3-bet on the turn; personally, I'd rather show the hand down. Raising the flop is a possibility, but getting raised doesn't tell you anything. Plenty of players will raise/re-raise with UI overcards on the flop (especially given the PF action); it's the big-bet streets that they tend to tighten up from what I've seen.

I'd raise the flop in Hand 2. But, both hand 1 and hand 2 are read dependent. Sometimes, a passive line is the optimal choice. Going balls out on every hand isn't a necessity.

Hand 3 is tricky. It's a small pot and a dangerous board. Lots of draws, and lots of draws that people love to play. I'm not really sure what the ideal way to play this is. The two most obvious are 3-betting the flop, and 2) waiting for the turn to raise a safe-card.