Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Re: KK preflop

Make it 225 to go. You define your hand easily to anyone when you L-RR to 225 in that spot. Playing from that point on will be a lot easier. as youve told people you have either AA or KK. You'll then have an easy decision based on what they do. As a bonus if they both go all in you can call to hit your set [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2005, 08:25 PM

You do NOT just want to smooth call CO's raise in worst position in a 3 way pot. You could indeed consider it if you were going to be headsup and had position. You should reraise every time here 3 way with worst position or you will be a guesser on the flop unless an A comes, leaving your really best option assuming that A doesn't come to be pushing in front or checkraising-push, which may well be falling into a trap. Always remember Doyle's advice that AA/KK are mainly for getting allin preflop (or close to it which reraising to like 360 would accomplish forcing you to call if repopped), and that otherwise you will usually win a small pot or lose a big one. Bad position is not a place to be trapping preflop in nl especially if not headsup (unless at a very shorthanded table).
Old 05-30-2005, 09:31 PM

A solid player will isolate with a wide variety of hands against the loose passive. Problem is, any decent reraise now not only virtually pot commits you, but it also gives away the strength of your hand.

I'd flat call, hope the initial loose raiser folds and try to trap the solid aggressive player by check-raising any non-A flop all-in. Then I plug my nose and hope he didn't have AA or didn't outflop me.

Garland
Old 05-31-2005, 02:14 AM

Default Results

[ QUOTE ]
Make it 225 to go. You define your hand easily to anyone when you L-RR to 225 in that spot. Playing from that point on will be a lot easier. as youve told people you have either AA or KK. You'll then have an easy decision based on what they do. As a bonus if they both go all in you can call to hit your set [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I did. Easily the worst option if you ask me. MP called, CO pushed. 400 more to me, I called. MP called.

MP had the two other kings, CO had aces. Good spot for him.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:43 AM

I think this is bad advice. It completely gives away your hand, and somebody holding AA and with a functioning brain is simply flat-calling your bet here.

What's your plan when the flop comes ragged? Check/fold?

Raising let's QQ, JJ, AKs get away, while blatantly revealing the strength of your hand to AA.

- Kripke
Old 05-31-2005, 03:46 AM

I choose to remember Ciaffone's advice not to put in the third raise with KK, since this simply makes life much easier for your opponents, and much harder for you.

Raise all in is not that bad, flat-call is best. Reraising 1/3 of your stack, but not essentially pot-committing yourself is by far the worst option of them all.

- Kripke
Old 05-31-2005, 04:04 AM

talk about over analyizing a spot to death here. its simply and easy fold and go to the next hand. minus six bucks.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
talk about over analyizing a spot to death here. its simply and easy fold and go to the next hand. minus six bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

as soon as i saw the hand, i immediately questioned why no one was advocating a fold. you have no idea what CO has and IMO the aggressive player has KK or better... a 36/3 isn't raising positionally with suited connectors too much so there isn't going to be much raising to isolate going on. i would have folded and waited for a better spot. that spot sucks. just because you have kings does not mean you have to go all in with them!

being results oriented, even if CO didn't have aces, a fold would be fine. well, minus EV of uhh 10 bucks or so but i'll take that the 1/7 of the time he has KK v AA. I really don't think a solid player playing against a known passive puts in a reraise with less than KK.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:40 AM

You're probably right. You live and you learn. I haven't played enoguh that I can ever find folding KK preflop easy.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:46 AM

I said at the top of my post I considered folding. But folding is -EV on my calculations. In order of preference :raise < fold < call.