Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 12:31 AM

Default Low-stakes Online Stud

While I'm getting better at online HE, for some reason I take beating at Stud online. I'm a low/micro limit online player at all games. While I crush 1-5 stud at Foxwoods/AC, when it comes to online I take a beating.

What are the adjustments I need to make?
Old 05-20-2005, 01:57 AM

Default Re: Low-stakes Online Stud

Pick up 7CSFAP if you can. There's a good section on loose games (i'm presuming this is your problem online) Many above average players who play online ram and jam with high pairs and when everyone calls, you're only hurting yourself as they gain odds to call on their draws. Wait for hands with many clean outs (pairs w/ 2-sflush, 3-straights with 2-flush) and try for checkraises on late streets to thin the field if necessary as opposed to raising on 3rd or 4th
Old 05-20-2005, 03:44 AM

Default Re: Low-stakes Online Stud

With Aces or Kings, it is still desirable to jam on third street if you have the best pair. The drawing hands will get an edge if they develop, but a three-flush is overwhelmingly likely to remain a three-flush on fourth street. I am leery of building a big pot with Queens and especially anything Jacks or smaller, but I think that your thinking is somewhat flawed. When you have a big pair in a multi-way pot, yes, you're going to lose most of the time. But say it's six ways to the end. You'll win perhaps 25% of the time, but you'll have put in only one-sixth of the money. That's a 3:2 overlay, and that's nothing to sneeze at. Building a big pot early can make pairsy hands hard to play on later streets, which is why I don't advocate jamming with Queens or smaller unless the other jamming players are screwballs.