Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2004, 07:59 AM

Default staight draw

cant rember exactly so ill try and piece it together......
5/5 nl
BB(900)
UTG+1(300)
Hero button (800)
utg+1 calls 5 ( Passive, tight)
all fold to hero whos rasies to 25 w/ 5d6d.......button(loose agressive, but plays well post flop) makes it 50......utg thinks and calls and i call......preflop was trying to issolate passive tight player
flop comes Ac 2d 3d.......bb bets 100, utg calls ......i raise 100......bb asks how much utg has left and min rasies 100....utg calls all in, and i smell weakness....i flat call.........turn is the glorious 4s giving me the nuts......bb bets 200 i go all in and he calls.........5s river(3 players all in)....thoughts questions comments? any guess on what bb or utg had?
Old 11-13-2004, 08:47 AM

Default Re: staight draw

On the flop, if you're going to raise, I think I like raising all-in much more than the minraise. This way you may get a higher diamond draw to fold (although not likely if they have the nut flush draw). The pot was huge, so you may as well get the money in. If a blank comes on the turn, you're in a tough situation.

I'm sort of confused by the post. Were you the button? So the BB made a minraise? I'm guessing BB had AdKd and UTG had some smaller ace?
Old 11-13-2004, 10:15 AM

Default Re: staight draw

I'm not sure why you'd want to isolate a passive, tight player. I mean, yes, you can steal their blind, but that kind of player is just not going to give you action unless you get a very fortunate mix of cards (which, I suppose, you did get.) You want to isolate loose passive players, not tight passive ones.

I'm surprised someone you describe as a "tight, passive" player called $50. I would guess he had limped with AK or maybe AQ suited?

As for the hand post-flop: I agree with Gomberg, probably best to just get your money in on the flop once you are reraised. You're (probably) getting the odds you need.