Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2004, 03:26 AM

Default KQs

2-3 nl hollywood park
Button 400(LAG)
Hero 900
i raise to 20 middle position with KQs.......2 more limpers......Button(LAG) makes it 80......i call .......both limpers fold........flop K 10 2 rainbow, and i have no flush draw.....i check, button bets 100..........i think and call........im not sure where hes at(because hes been playin a little crazy) but i suspect AA-JJ, or AK...........ive been playing well and reading better................turn 2...............i check, he moves all in......i think and think and finally fold..........he turns his hand up, so i know the results...comments, suggestions? on all streets please....
Old 10-24-2004, 04:15 AM

Default Re: KQs

[ QUOTE ]
2-3 nl hollywood park
Button 400(LAG)
Hero 900
i raise to 20 middle position with KQs.......2 more limpers......Button(LAG) makes it 80......i call .......both limpers fold........flop K 10 2 rainbow, and i have no flush draw.....i check, button bets 100..........i think and call........im not sure where hes at(because hes been playin a little crazy) but i suspect AA-JJ, or AK...........ive been playing well and reading better................turn 2...............i check, he moves all in......i think and think and finally fold..........he turns his hand up, so i know the results...comments, suggestions? on all streets please....

[/ QUOTE ]

first off, welcome to the forum, if nobody has yet welcomed you.

couple of problems:
1. this isn't mid-high stakes. a 100NL hand should go in small stakes.
2. even against a lag, calling (significant) raises out of position with hands that are easily dominated is bad. remember that headsup, high card power matters more than suited/connectedness.
3. one interesting note about lags (good ones at least): being one myself, we generally dont re-raise without the goods. sure we'll open with trash, but when people start playing back at us, we know they've probably got us beat. unless this guy has monster table feel to the point where he'll re-raise you and play a big pot with trash, relying on your weakness rather than his strength, you're beat here.
4. wouldn't call the flop. if you check, be prepared to checkraise, or you can bet out. either way if he raises, you know you're no good. now you're stuck on the turn withno idea if you're crushed or not. get the folding equity in your bets. He's betting $100 into a 160 pot, so it doesnt look like he's trying to bully you here. dont call here unless you WANT him to bluff all-in so that you can call. you said no flush draw so any card other than a Q isnt great for ya, so you want to take it down now.
5. fold like you did on the turn. he's set up the pot to be big enough so that his push isn't much over the pot. unless this guy is a complete psycho, he's got you beat, possibly by a hand you wouldn't suspect.

i guess my final note is this: when it comes to LAG's with position on you, either checkraise them or feign weakness and let them bluff off all their chips. you could have lost 20 bucks in this pot, instead you lost quite a bit more. there are better hands out there to tangle with a lag with 400 behind over a $3 blind than KQs.

fim
Old 10-24-2004, 04:42 AM

You both have quite deep stacks. I don't like the cold-call preflop (definite mistake in my opinion), it's too easy get your hand dominated by the LAG player. The problem is this, you can flop a king or a queen but you can't be entirely sure if you kicker is good. (plus you don't have position in this hand).

I try not to get myself in such situations but on the flop, you NEED to bet it out on the flop straight away and hope for a fold from the button. (or check-raise all-in) I will NEVER call this hand at any stage and it's either a reraise or fold at ANY stage of the hand after the flop.

The maxim, "raise or fold" is especially true in this hand. Calling is a losing poker play.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:31 AM

fold preflop and its not even close. if you both have a couple of G's behind you, then by all means call, looking for the straight or flush. But with med-short stacks, this hand is a very bad one to play for a reraised pot.

the rest of the hand is the reason for this. you will be ahead on this flop very very seldom, and if you are, you sure cant be feeling good about it.

fold preflop to the reraise.

fsuplayer
Old 10-24-2004, 11:37 AM

First off, raising to 20 first in? With KQs????

Don't like it. I sure as hell don't want to call a reraise against a stack half my size.

Fold to the reraise Preflop and you wont have these problems. I actually limp KQs there.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:11 PM

ok, working backwards:

you shouldnt call the turn if you are folding the river to a blank

you shouldnt flat call the flop out of position if you put him on JJ-AA/AK

you shouldnt call preflop if you put him on JJ-AA,AK

maybe most importantly, if he is indeed that lag to make it worth calling his reraise with that hand, then you want to limp/call instead. im assuming you would dump your hand on the flop if you missed. so against a maniac it generally is better to keep the pot smaller until you hit, if you are planning (as you should be) to fold when you miss the flop. i think this is a really important point to understand when playing vs an extreme lag.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:54 PM

i guess the play was fold preflop..........he showed ak
thanx