Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2005, 11:10 AM

Default Shot at da Pot

Not sure if I posted this hand before, but it's been running around in my head recently after a conversation with a friend, so here it is.

Live 5-5 NL, no max buy. Stacks are extremely deep in some spots; smallest stack is about 1700, with four stacks over 15k. The game is fired up pre-flop and somewhat tough post-flop. A 10k+ stack, 5k stack, and two 2k stacks are making the game and flops are often 3-4 way for $20-50. My image is probably weak-tight.

UTG (loose gambling aggressive, 2k) raises to 20 blind. UTG +1 (his buddy, loose pre-flop and weak post flop, 2k) raises to 50 blind. Next to act makes it 100 after thinking for a few moments (15k+, thinking tricky player). Two deep stacks cold call without much thought. I am in the big blind with $2400 behind and raise to 700 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG, UTG+1, thinking player fold, first two cold-callers think for five seconds each and call. Three to the flop with about 2600 in the pot.

The flop is A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I check.

Thoughts and further actions to follow.

-Diplomat
Old 07-02-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Shot at da Pot

it really depends on your opponents (as usual), but i think you really need to move in here (flop).
Old 07-02-2005, 02:26 PM

I agree you need to move in here, but I do not mind doing it with a check raise, and at this table it sounds like you will almost certainly get the oppurtunity.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:09 PM

check raise???? you only have 1700 with a pot of 2600, any bet will put YOU all in. you probably have the best hand, i think it's a good play to represent KK or something like that and try to get a weaker ace to put YOU all in, if you think they'll do that on the flop... if it gets checked around then you obviously have to shove on the turn.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:06 AM

Default I don\'t like the check.

it would be an absolute catastrophe to give a free card that beat you in a pot of this size when you likely have the best hand on the flop and are totally committed.....
Old 07-03-2005, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it would be an absolute catastrophe to give a free card that beat you in a pot of this size when you likely have the best hand on the flop and are totally committed.....

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-03-2005, 02:10 AM

Is it a correct play to reraise with an AQo after a raise, reraise and two cold callers? Maybe I play too tight? Wouldn't you have to be very fearful of an AK, AA or Ks?

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2005, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it a correct play to reraise with an AQo after a raise, reraise and two cold callers? Maybe I play too tight? Wouldn't you have to be very fearful of an AK, AA or Ks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice quote jim,

But wasnt he asking about play after the flop, and not preflop?

Your committed, dont check raise, move it all in. you're only going to get called by the KsKx or the Anon spade Anon spade
Old 07-03-2005, 05:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if I posted this hand before, but it's been running around in my head recently after a conversation with a friend, so here it is.

Live 5-5 NL, no max buy. Stacks are extremely deep in some spots; smallest stack is about 1700, with four stacks over 15k. The game is fired up pre-flop and somewhat tough post-flop. A 10k+ stack, 5k stack, and two 2k stacks are making the game and flops are often 3-4 way for $20-50. My image is probably weak-tight.

UTG (loose gambling aggressive, 2k) raises to 20 blind. UTG +1 (his buddy, loose pre-flop and weak post flop, 2k) raises to 50 blind. Next to act makes it 100 after thinking for a few moments (15k+, thinking tricky player). Two deep stacks cold call without much thought. I am in the big blind with $2400 behind and raise to 700 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG, UTG+1, thinking player fold, first two cold-callers think for five seconds each and call. Three to the flop with about 2600 in the pot.

The flop is A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I check.

Thoughts and further actions to follow.

-Diplomat

[/ QUOTE ]
This sounds a lot like the foxwoods game.
Raising pf to 700 is not a bad move at all here.
Push flop.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of you guys are a lot better than me, but I either push or fold on the flop, and based on his descriptions I probably fold.

As for the post flop play, again I push (I am pot commited, and I would rather be the bettor, not the caller).

As played by the OP, if one of the other guys bet out, I am insta check-raising all in.